THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's worldwide known...... More, much more fuel, but steady Temp! I'm still using it. I'm just studing how much water in my water pan (WSM): full, 1/2 ore even less. I'm approaching to the issue like Salomone did. 1,8 gal for the fist 6 hours. Then 1 more gal. I'm still studing!

more fuel is a good point but given it will create a moist environment and meat is mostly water, would the meat weigh more at the end of a cook using a water pan than a dry cook (less moisture/product loss)

I really doubt that you will get more end product by adding more water. The meat is done when its done, and that is after it has heated to the point that the collagens have broken down, and the water in the meat has escaped. The water pan can help with even heat and help keep from burning the meat.

NO and they increase fuel consumption, the only reason to have a water pan is for a heat sink or to overcome the lack of the pitmans abilities to manage a fire. All the other stuff you hear is Pure BS.

The only think a water pan did for me was make me HATE cleaning up the pit after a cook, whether it was the next day before experiments started to grow or weeks after when I would open the lid and realize I was about to dump and wash out all sorts of invaluable medical treatments that were growing in my cooker.

I started out using a water pan on my first smoker and have ever since. I use shortened splits so it's more difficult to calculate fuel consumption as you can with briquettes. My water pan is right in front of the firebox exhaust in the cooking chamber. My flue is always open fully, firebox door closed with air intake vents usually wide open. I only partially close the intakes to cool down a too hot fire. High air flow seems to really help keep consistent temps through out the cooking chamber. I believe the water pan also helps keep the temperature balance in check. I imagine that I'm probably using more fuel than others but I am happy with fairly consistent temps in the chamber. I don't want to fix something that ain't broke. I rarely have a white smoke problem. I just open the firebox door completely and it gets rid of it fairly quickly.

With my new Weber OTG possibly only for indirect heat. I'd rather not use a water pan unless I really need to. I'm sure there are Weber experts here that can help me out.

My first and second pits were not designed to use a water pan, my third, fourth and fifth pits were designed to use water pans.

As far as temperature stability, I couldn't ask for a more uniform temperature than with the use of a water pan.

Less product loss? it is the same with or without the use of a water pan.

Clean up isn't an issue because I have always put a drip pan just above the water pan or under the last shelf of food in every cooker I have owned. I have always done this, when the cook is done, pull the foil pan and discard, rinse the shelves, easy clean up. I think it is harder to wipe the dust and polish the exterior than to clean the inside of mine. The water pan itself is always clean, just empty out any remaining water if any and put back in place for next time.

As far as fuel consumption, I don't see more use of charcoal with mine. An eight pound bag of lump will still have a good bed of orange coals at the fourteen hour mark if it is nessecary to add more charcoal for longer cooks.

I picked up a stainless cover at RD for my water pan and just cover it with foil. I get the benefits of even heat, without too much added moisture. A full water pan is only half way evaporated, after 10 hours, so it's not adding much.

Pull the foil, dump the water pan, scrap the shelves with a 6 in drywall knife and rinse out the cooker and shelves...easy!

No reduction in product loss.
No increase in product moisture.
Like has been said already, stable temps and more fuel consumed.
I don't use water anymore.

I picked up a stainless cover at RD for my water pan and just cover it with foil. I get the benefits of even heat, without too much added moisture. A full water pan is only half way evaporated, after 10 hours, so it's not adding much.

Pull the foil, dump the water pan, scrap the shelves with a 6 in drywall knife and rinse out the cooker and shelves...easy!

I'll try that next time Mike, thanks for the tip. I have a couple odd lids around and one will work perfectly for this purpose.

No they don't reduce product loss but they do make great heat diffusers and they also create steam that will add moisture to your pit and product. If it was all BS Miron Mixon wouldn't be cooking on and making water smokers.

HEY...TO ALL YOU SAYING NO TO HELPING WITH PRODUCT LOSS...

What if he's smoking ICE?

Yeah, okay, no, water pans don't help with loss of product.

I need pain meds, obviously :)

Back