WSM with no water pan in use

Jbowie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe Bowie
I have cooked chicken a few times on the WSM wwith the pan completely removed.Has anybody cooked a brisket or ribs etc. without water pan in the cooker. How different is this from the PBC. What arre pros and cons.

A WSM without a water pan is just a prettier UDS. Never had a wsm- will probably always have some sort of UDS. The only con I can think of is also considered a pro by others: The fat dripping onto the coals gives off a "meat fog" that gives the brisket what could be referred to as real pit bbq taste. Some don't care for it- some can't get enough. Feather your intakes to hold around 275-300 and go for it. Get a butt on sale- give it a go- you might just ditch the water pan from there on out.

Nuco hit the nail on the head. If you like the taste of meat dripping on coals or not is the difference. I have a WSM and my buddy has a Pit Barrel, I think the distance may be slightly greater from coals to meat in a WSM, but that's no big deal. Also, it will cut down on cook time some.

Haven't done a brisket or butt without a pan but chicken and ribs no pan all the way.

i used the pan but quit using water after a while, just filled it with sand, worked fine. That said, once I went to an offset I'll never go back, instant improvement in my food ever before I new how to run the thing right. I've got one that's probably 15yrs old now and hasn't been touched in 5-6yrs, probably need to sell it some day.

Back