THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hello all!!

I"m looking to get a Chud Press. that's slightly on sale for Memorial Day.

I'll post the dimensions...but basically it looks to be about 11.75" in length (plus the attachable grease catcher in front) by 11.5.

I'm not quite sure if this thing will fit readily over my largest gas burner of my stovetop. So, thinking back up...anyone have a recommendation on some sort of gas burner I could set up just outside the backdoor, hook to a regular propane tank , to use to make smash burgers, tortillas....nice bacon cooking rig...etc?

I've never bought or dealt with a gas burner of what I guess I'd need....I've done a fried turkey, but that is just a big jet you set a big pot on, not quite what I need for this....

I dunno if you can get some sort of single burner that stands waist high, or if you need to have an outdoor table of some sort to set it on?

Can you safely use a propane burner indoors? If so, that might open up other options....

Ideally I'd like to use this indoors on my stove, but I"m trying to have a pan "B"...as the this looks like a really fun item to use. It is pricey.....but it appears to be made of carbon steel except for the grease drain which is SS....so, I think you season this thing up and it would be a blast to cook on.

Anyway, any recommendations GREATLY appreciated.

Here is a video of it in action....although the pin mechanism has been replaced with a fixed rear hinge...but the floating top still works to allow for thickness of whatever you're pressing.

Thank you in advance...

Attachments

• Press Top.pdf
    416.9 KB · Views: 3
Thank you for the reply!!

Hmm....looking at that, I'm thinking that might be a bit low in BTU's?
I need to write the press folks and ask what the max BTU and recommend ones are!

But also, hoping for something that I could hook up to my regular large propane tank like you hook to gassers....just so I have a common fuel source floating around here for most everything gas....not the little canisters...

Again, thank you for the reply!!

C

If you're going to get a press .... give Chud a call or an email to see if he has a recommendation. I'd start there ... I'll bet he's thought about it already. May have some type of attachment..

The stand burner Andy posted is probably your best bet. But $500 USD for that seems a 'little bit' excessive. I'd go for two pieces of 3/8" hot rolled steel flat bar however big you want it and use some clamps like these McMaster-Carr

But I'm cheap. :rolleyes:

Of course, remove the plastic on the handle.

I was considering buying one for tortilla's but it can't do Sonoran style so i passed. ( i don't like thick tortilla's. )

The stand burner Andy posted is probably your best bet. But $500 USD for that seems a 'little bit' excessive. I'd go for two pieces of 3/8" hot rolled steel flat bar however big you want it and use some clamps like these McMaster-Carr

But I'm cheap. :rolleyes:

Of course, remove the plastic on the handle.
Hmm...that link Andy posted took me to a burner that was $72.97 USD.....not $500.....

Also, I'm not seeing a plastic handle on anything...are you sure you saw the correct link(s)?

Anyway..thank you all for the input....some interesting choices here and I think a couple of them (the burner at Lowes especially) piqued my interest.

I hop to the the Chud Press in this week....try it out stove top in the house and move from there as to an outdoor external burner.

Thank you everyone that posted suggestions!!

C

I'm not trying to spit on your idea, but isn't this just a griddle and press built into one? Seems like there are cheaper ways to get the same results. Maybe buy a griddle like this one for the cooking/smash burgers and a tortilla press like this one for making tortillas. Both for under $110.

Back