THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gnarlbecue

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Dumpster Fire BBQ
I would like to get some sort of heat diffuser plate to reclaim some space on my 22" kettle for indirect smoking. I currently use the SnS and it gives great results, but limits my capacity by about 25-30%.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which product would serve me the best? I am aware of the Weber heat controller thingy that doubles as a vortex, as well as a couple options from Only Fire and Skyflame.

I'm currently considering this

I will need room for a drip pan or two between the top grate and the diffuser itself.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insights. I'm also open to any Mc Guyvery mods y'all may have tried, like a pizza pan on a couple bricks or something.

I would like to use a charcoal snake around the outside edge of the charcoal grate, with a diffuser to block direct heat while also acting as thermal mass to give even temps across the entire top grate.

I would like to get some sort of heat diffuser plate to reclaim some space on my 22" kettle for indirect smoking. I currently use the SnS and it gives great results, but limits my capacity by about 25-30%.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which product would serve me the best? I am aware of the Weber heat controller thingy that doubles as a vortex, as well as a couple options from Only Fire and Skyflame.

I'm currently considering this

I will need room for a drip pan or two between the top grate and the diffuser itself.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insights. I'm also open to any Mc Guyvery mods y'all may have tried, like a pizza pan on a couple bricks or something.

I would like to use a charcoal snake around the outside edge of the charcoal grate, with a diffuser to block direct heat while also acting as thermal mass to give even temps across the entire top grate.
Would there not be a gob (BBQ term) of heat blowing out the edges of the diffuser?
Ed

I love my kettle- but I really can't think of anything that will give you more real estate and turn it into more than a halfazz smoker. Maybe chop a 55 gallon drum in half or more- to make a riser that would give you some distance between the coal bed and the food grate? I know you can smoke on a kettle- I've done it just to say I did- but it won't take the place of a UDS, WSM or any other "dedicated" smoker.

Back