Santa Maria Build w/Parrilla Style Grill Deck

NICE! if i didn't have a santa maria already i would want one too.

edit. I wish I had that model over mine.

Killer! Nothing like the one in the link which is designed for a Weber kettle.

How do you figure it's, "Nothing like"? I'm obviously not speaking to the quality of the build, but for it's purpose/function, it's pretty much exactly the same. :loco:

I've got tank ends just laying here...

Dang, that hurts, they are like gold 'round here! I usually only have left over tank ends when somebody wants a big offset with a vertical warming oven above the firebox. I've even tried to source new tank ends only to be told by the only fabricator near me they use their "seconds" to make fire pits and they would be happy to sell me a completed unit :shock: Next time I get out to Texas I do have a source in Ft. Worth and I'll probably get a dozen or two - hey when are you Texicans having another bash?

I bought mine at a place that tests tanks, if the pass they get repainted and resold, if they don't they cut the ends off. There are thousands of tank ends there!

I bought mine at a place that tests tanks, if the pass they get repainted and resold, if they don't they cut the ends off. There are thousands of tank ends there!
Jeremy,

I sent you a PM about you having ends laying around and before I saw this post. I'm about two hours east of you but go to your area frequently for business. I love to pick up a couple of ends for a Santa Maria style cooker build. Care to share the name of the business? You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks,

Robert

Update - Fabrication Finished

Had a chance to finish up fabrication today. Found a leftover chain sprocket; we rebuilt a rotary hay rake a couple years ago and had some sprockets and shaft collars leftover.

2016-07-04%2012.14.19_zpsmltpfzjr.jpg

2016-07-04%2012.14.54_zpsryxxzzup.jpg

Mounted on the shaft with a vertical 1/2 inch diameter locking pin that engages the sprocket.

2016-07-05%2013.27.56_zpsxbde8bkv.jpg

Or lift the locking pin and rest it on top of the lift frame and the axle free wheels.

2016-07-05%2013.28.40_zpsp0brh2co.jpg

This really works better than I had hoped. Add a little chain between the axle and cooking grate and it is in business. It has 30+ inches of vertical travel and operates very smoothly.

2016-07-05%2013.26.38_zpsjtbdkpni.jpg

2016-07-05%2013.26.17_zps57tvong5.jpg

Tomorrow morning while it is cooler I need to trim some of the metal components and finish some clean up grinding then it is off to sandblasting. While it is as sandblasting I'll knock out knock out a couple rotisserie mounts and hopefully give the exterior a couple coats of paint over the weekend and preseason the rest with food grade oil.

This has been a fun build and I'm thinking it will be a really neat cooking tool.

A masterpiece, very ingenious on the sprocket. Looks like that's going to work real good Dave.

Back