Santa Maria Build w/Parrilla Style Grill Deck

That's a thing of beauty! Love the idea of a rotisserie on a SM Pit. Looking forward to updates on how this thing turns out after a few cooks.

Yeah, nice call on attaching the roti to the grate. Seems obvious, but I've seen them attached to the vertical supports.

Yea, mine and the others I've built have all been atached to the vertical lift supports but I wanted to try this and now that I've done it I really like it.

VeryCool!
Nice Work!!

IMG_20160715_160319_zpsscqjhzfm.jpg

Put some leg quarters on last night, I must say Dave, the V channel of the parrila grate work just as planned. Most of the fat ran down the channel and dripped on the inside of the bowl. I experienced no flare-ups. I used the Publix greenwise hardwood charcoal (on sale for $5 a bag fyi) and small pieces of cherry wood for some smoke. I learned it doesn't take a lot of fuel to get this baby going, had to raise the grate up a ways. I also like liked being able to walk around to move chicken around instead of reaching across the fire. I'm very happy with it, if you guys ever get a chance to get a Santa Maria style grill you won't regret it. Next Saturday doing a turkey on the rotisserie.

IMG_20160715_171716_zpsyrdydwiw.jpg

Put some leg quarters on last night, I must say Dave, the V channel of the parrila grate work just as planned. Most of the fat ran down the channel and dripped on the inside of the bowl. I experienced no flare-ups. I used the Publix greenwise hardwood charcoal (on sale for $5 a bag fyi) and small pieces of cherry wood for some smoke. I learned it doesn't take a lot of fuel to get this baby going, had to raise the grate up a ways. I also like liked being able to walk around to move chicken around instead of reaching across the fire. I'm very happy with it, if you guys ever get a chance to get a Santa Maria style grill you won't regret it. Next Saturday doing a turkey on the rotisserie.

IMG_20160715_171716_zpsyrdydwiw.jpg

Thanks for the show-n-tell Andy and I'm really glad the parilla works as intended. It is a little hard to get your head around the size of a 30" cooking deck but seeing 10 chicken quarters at a time without crowding really puts it into focus. Bet that chicken fat is really going to speed up the seasoning.

Back