THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the basket like that it comes with? Trying to figure out what else I'd need to buy to do chicken wings or thighs without doing one layer at a time.

I could have swore the instructions say not to clean the stainless steel insert that makes the cooker work. Says to let it get seasoned and it'll cook better. So I've never actually "cleaned" mine. I let it run after the turkey is done and out of the cooker for about 20 min. Then let it cool and wipe out and residue.

You guys are making me wonder if I should clean it.....Mike whatever you wife does sure does work well. Yours looks brand new! :thumb:

Instructions? What instructions?

I didn't read them last year and stuffed a 28 pound bird into the wire basket. Found out after the suggested limit was 16 pounds lol, but it worked well and cooked a fantastic bird.

I guess I missed the cleaning directions in the instructions too... I have always taken the inner liner out and sprayed with oven cleaner and after 5 minutes just rinsed the goo away. It's stainless and the cleaner won't hurt it. I guess I'm too focused on sanitation/food contamination and just clean everything.

Mike,

Thanks for the Cajun Butter Injection, it was awesome.!!!!!

Mike,

This was my second time using "The Big Easy" and I was completely taken by surprise this year. A 15 pound Turkey was done in an hour and a half. I had to double check it with my Thermapen.

Here is a pic of the 15 pounder after cooking for an hour and a half in the big easy, highest heat setting and covered throughout the cook.

DSCN0045a_zpsuopzsm2c.jpg

Mike,

This was my second time using "The Big Easy" and I was completely taken by surprise this year. A 15 pound Turkey was done in an hour and a half. I had to double check it with my Thermapen.

BTW how did the 4" pan work out for the drippings? I used the 1/3 size pan with the 1/3 size foil pan inside. Worked great for me...

That is unusual. Mine was showing 165 in the breast with the Maverick ET-732 probe. I probed the other breast with my Thermapen and it showed 153! I moved the Mav probe to other breast and sure enough, it showed 153. I had either hit a fat/injection pocket or the heat source was uneven. I left the bird on and rotated the basket only making sure the SS liner did not rotate. About 20 mins later the other breast was done to 165 and the first breast showed to be up to 172.

It turned out great but in the future I may rotate the basket 180* about 1 1/2 hours in just to be sure.

That is unusual. Mine was showing 165 in the breast with the Maverick ET-732 probe. I probed the other breast with my Thermapen and it showed 153! I moved the Mav probe to other breast and sure enough, it showed 153. I had either hit a fat/injection pocket or the heat source was uneven. I left the bird on and rotated the basket only making sure the SS liner did not rotate. About 20 mins later the other breast was done to 165 and the first breast showed to be up to 172.

It turned out great but in the future I may rotate the basket 180* about 1 1/2 hours in just to be sure.

Never thought about rotating the basket, My turkey also had one breast higher in temperature than the other, I used a ball of tinfoil to push the cooler breast closer to the side.

Turkey went in at 1:00 planning to eat at 4:00, but at 2:00 the turkey was reading 150. Turned the heat down and put the other items in the oven for an earlier dinner. To my surprise the breast was at 167 at 2:30. Had to rest then wrap and keep warm while the other items in the oven finished.

I liked the earlier than planned dinner, more time to relax afterwards, and of course more time for another slice of pie later on. LOL

No more creole butter for me! lol

That stuff was so good. Made for one of the most flavorful birds ive had

One of my breasts was about 10 degrees hotter too. After looking at my pic i can see it was probably due to the nird leaning and one breast being closer to the bucket

That stuff was so good. Made for one of the most flavorful birds ive had

I've used creole butter many many many times but no more. I made a simple one ...easy to make and was 10x better. Might be exaggerating but it was noticeably clearly better. No more store bought anymore....fo sho

I've used creole butter many many many times but no more. I made a simple one ...easy to make and was 10x better. Might be exaggerating but it was noticeably clearly better. No more store bought anymore....fo sho

No! Never! Not you! :shocked::shocked:

Lol...:becky:

By the way. I've rotated my basket a few times as well. I didn't monitor both breasts but I did notice sometimes one side of the turkey seemed to be getting darker than the other so I rotate......It seems a rotate or two may become standard ops now!...

No! Never! Not you! :shocked::shocked:

Lol...:becky:

By the way. I've rotated my basket a few times as well. I didn't monitor both breasts but I did notice sometimes one side of the turkey seemed to be getting darker than the other so I rotate......It seems a rotate or two may become standard ops now!...

(wrong thread for this ) so I'll make it quick! lol My intakes are almost side to side from each other and with the holes I drilled in the hanging ring temps are pretty darn even throughout the drum. Plus my chimney coals go dead center in the basket....worked well and very pleased.

(wrong thread for this ) so I'll make it quick! lol My intakes are almost side to side from each other and with the holes I drilled in the hanging ring temps are pretty darn even throughout the drum. Plus my chimney coals go dead center in the basket....worked well and very pleased.

OK but I thought we were talking about creole butter........

OK but I thought we were talking about creole butter........

Oh..lol the rotate basket thing confused me. :becky:

Andrew look at the ingredients on the creole butter and you'll be like :noidea:

1 to 1 1/4 sticks of unsalted butter, 1/2 tb spoon colemans powder mustard, 16 oz beer (PBR) Heaping TB of a good spog rug ( I used SPG) from Sucklebusters. YUM. If you like spice then add in your favorite heat

Many oh man it's simple but soo much more flavor than the store stuff.

Never thought about rotating the basket, My turkey also had one breast higher in temperature than the other, I used a ball of tinfoil to push the cooler breast closer to the side.

Turkey went in at 1:00 planning to eat at 4:00, but at 2:00 the turkey was reading 150. Turned the heat down and put the other items in the oven for an earlier dinner. To my surprise the breast was at 167 at 2:30. Had to rest then wrap and keep warm while the other items in the oven finished.

I liked the earlier than planned dinner, more time to relax afterwards, and of course more time for another slice of pie later on. LOL

I'm going to try an experiment for Christmas Turkey. Will get the wife to scrub the SS liner evenly with the same amount of reflection. I'm thinking wind blowing dust or grit into the liner may affect the evenness of the IR energy.

On edit, it did not cook unevenly when new. Just this year it started It's 5 years old and the SS liner looks a little dull. Not like shiny when new.

Last edited:
Well after reading all the great things the TBE can do I took the plunge and got one delivered by Tuesday. Seasoned her up and did the T-Day turkey for the family. OMG that bird came out so good. Everyone was talking about how the juices were just squirting out when I sliced it. Total cook took 2 1/2 hours for a 14 pounder. Never did put the lid on.
Been doing deep fried turkeys for along time but this was so much easier and a lot less of a mess. Ordering some more racks for different cooks now. Love TBE.

Well after reading all the great things the TBE can do I took the plunge and got one delivered by Tuesday. Seasoned her up and did the T-Day turkey for the family. OMG that bird came out so good. Everyone was talking about how the juices were just squirting out when I sliced it. Total cook took 2 1/2 hours for a 14 pounder. Never did put the lid on.
Been doing deep fried turkeys for along time but this was so much easier and a lot less of a mess. Ordering some more racks for different cooks now. Love TBE.

Yes indeed. They don't call it the Big Easy for nothing. You should taste the chicken it makes. Glad you like it.

Back