THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Cajun in-laws cook their possums in one as well. Do you save this for your turkey only, or do you cook your possums in it as well? :twisted:

Seriously, I have seen these around and often wondered if it was a gimmick or a real item. I guess you straightened me out on that! How easy is it to check the temp, ie, do you have to take it out and use a thermapen, or can you check it while in the cooker?

My Cajun in-laws cook their possums in one as well. Do you save this for your turkey only, or do you cook your possums in it as well? :twisted:

Seriously, I have seen these around and often wondered if it was a gimmick or a real item. I guess you straightened me out on that! How easy is it to check the temp, ie, do you have to take it out and use a thermapen, or can you check it while in the cooker?

I used to use the supplied thermometer. Now I just stick a Maverick ET 732 probe in the thickest part of the breast. Really easy. I also wear a BBQ glove and check it in place when using the Thermapen.

Have not done a possum yet but the dillas are to die for!

I used to use the supplied thermometer. Now I just stick a Maverick ET 732 probe in the thickest part of the breast. Really easy. I also wear a BBQ glove and check it in place when using the Thermapen.

Have not done a possum yet but the dillas are to die for!

Dilla is possum on the half shell. Cool. I have two Mavericks, so that will work. Thanks.

PS, That wire mesh lid does get hot. Watch out.

I will second that. And I found out the hard way. I mean it looks like a lid. It will mess with your brian. Just make sure you wear gloves when you go out to check anything. That way you'll already have them on when you decide, hey I'm gonna take the mesh top off a sec to admire the color I'm getting. That top hurts like a SOB if you try and bare hand it like I have done......:shocked: Oh and I've done it more than once.....:crazy:

I found that using my thermoworks K probes Stoker, they get all confused and reads all weird. Some huge 600F temp and sometimes negative number.

Maybe because the probes are long and it's also reading the infrared energy from the wall hitting the exposed stems.

So I go by color and thermapen it occasionally.

Wow! Man I hate it when someone messes with my brian. :razz: :heh:

Lovely, and it's too late to edit now. I guess that's what happens when you do 95% of your posts are from a cell phone that likes to think it knows what you wanna say better than you.....:tsk:

:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Took about 3 hours.

2mevcr4.jpg

Back