THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First off, there will be green bean casserole! My version. Long live mushroom sherry sauce!!!

And no, however, I have learned to not underestimate my nephew, I expect that a wild turkey will show up. I don't quite know what that means, as there are a variety of wild/feral turkeys in California, and of course, a lot depends on what they've been eating and whether he shoots a tom or hen, and how large.

will upload pics later , but..... a 15 lb turkey doesn't stand up in the large bge , it pretty much sits flat on the bottom :)

guessing you'd need a 25-30 lb bird to stand up in the basket :)

I do like to keep the bird (horozontal or vertical) at least 1 inch above the bottom of the basket on the original Big Easy. Seems to cook better.

I've found this thread very enlightening. The wife snarls and makes an argh noise whenever I mention an oil less fryer. We've had alot of fried turkeys and she thinks noway, nohow, will one of those things come near a peanut oil fried turkey.

If I had a day off during the week I would just go buy one, fry a turkey up while she's not home, and keep it all to myself.:twisted:

Finally put together and practice ran my new Big Easy Oil Less Turkey Fryer with a chicken.
Installation took me about 30 minutes but I took my time.

The cook was a success. Here's my observation, it is fantastic in its own way. Just as others have descibed before, it is not 100% like a fried turkey where the crispness can be 1/8" deep sometimes, this one is crisp on the skin, and super juicy inside.

I did use the stand that comes with my old Turkey Fryer, with a bent around coat hanger to hang the chicken in space.

I do not regret the purchase and highly recommend it!

The whole time, but I have still to perfect my way of hanging the bird, so I used the stand that came with my old fryer to center the bird, I hooked it with a clothes hanger that I bent and wrapped around an iron fire poker rod that sat across the top to make sure the bird suspends in the right height. Then the lid on top of that. So it had s bit of a gap around and underneath the lid from the thickness of the rod.

It may have prevented a total fried looking skin and made it more a rotisseried chicken look.
How long did you leave the mesh lid on?

Here is a truss from last Christmas (I think). Injected after that and in to TBE the next day.

1z1sdx3.jpg

Getting set up. Will just drop turkey in the pot tomorrow morning. Thanks to I Am Madman for the ss drip pan idea. it fit perfectly.

9fnwnd.jpg

Borrowed his pic but mine looks just like it.

4%20inch%20pan_zpsfl8qqmmk.jpg

Back