THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry, for last long ...margarita(s) took over ..

Thanks for these last tips. The thermometer comment saves me and I will try the Spicewine solution. Also, I had wondered about the drilled cork idea.
Nobody likes dropping one down the ventstack?

I am following instructions and wiping/brushing veggie oil on everything, but wonder why Pam spray is avoided. I'll stay with the oil since I do have a pump sprayer for cooking oil but .....

The foil on drip pan idea is a good one that I would not have figured out until much later I do have some firebricks on the bottom, but have no ggod way to cut them so the total bottom is not covered.

Now to the baffle ....

Regards,
T_B

tommy_bandera said:
Also, I had wondered about the drilled cork idea.
Nobody likes dropping one down the ventstack?

When I do butts, shoulders, or briskets, I run the probe of a remote digital down the vent stack. (I use a Maverick ET-73) The probe goes in the meat. It also has a probe for the pit, but I like the door thermometer (through the cork) better, I guess because I am used to it. Based on the recommendations of the folks here I ordered a Spicewine thermometer for the door and should get it pretty soon.

you can use pam to season.. or any decent cooking oil.. even a low smoke point will work becase your gonna be smoking it up anyway.

alot of us us the smokestank to drop the probe down.. sticking it thru a cork or potato inside is just to hold it still.

I use a turkey fryer themometer stuck in the stack to monitor exhaust temp. It generally reads 50* lower than the middle shelf temp. Hope it shows in the pic ok

Attachments

Nice to know Pam works in a pinch even though veggie oil is what I bought to get going. The different temp comments are useful since it is clear that one needs to know temp at various spots in the smoker. I could see the ventstack pic pretty well except for stuff around the probe. I will look at it on PS6 later.
Grats.
Y_B

BBQchef33 said:
you can use pam to season.. or any decent cooking oil.. even a low smoke point will work becase your gonna be smoking it up anyway.

alot of us us the smokestank to drop the probe down.. sticking it thru a cork or potato inside is just to hold it still.

That really does work well.

Phil, I know what you meant but I gotta tell you
SMOKESTANK is funny ...LOL

$15._$90. ...got it surrounded!

Interesting input since I was at HD this p.m., had the extended steel, 6 ft steel flat, SS bolts, nuts, etc., and bailed out until I can check some other possibilities tomorrow. It's frustrating _ so many rock grates and other strong replacement grates, but nothing that will work with modest modification.

I assume Spicewine must be contacted for a 'special' quote for this grate?

Regards,
T_B

Just shoot him a PM from this site and he'll get back to ya. I'd definitely go with the firebasket. It made a HUGE diference for me in temp and fire control. I have the other 'dera type made by Brinkman called the Smoke King Deluxe. Basically a mirro image of the Dera. I still use the HD Aluminum foil trick for a temp baffle. These guys have helped me out to no end. You'll learn alot here.

Back