THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DefTaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Tony
Hey guys - I need your expert recommendations. I still have my trusty TP-08 but need to replace the XR-50 (only had it for a year and it's temps are all wrong -- my last cook came out dry because of it). Only reason I know is that my WSM temp gauge is only about 25 deg. off from the TP-08 or the XR-50...except the last time when it was off by about 50 - 60 degrees. I didn't think much on it because it was extremely cold and I was smoking in the rain...

Regardless, the XR-50 is shot. I'm looking at the Thermoworks Signals 4-Channel but it is pricey (yes, I'm sure you get what you pay for)...

While the TP-08 still works fine, I used the XR-50 when I was cooking more than 1 item.

Any other brands or models that I should consider? If it matters, the most I've ever cooked at once was a fatty, wings and a brisket (at the top grate) of the 22.5" WSM.

Thanks to all for reading and recommending!

TC

DefTaker,

I would consider the offerings from InkBird and ThermoPro, both can be found in The Brethren Ventures forum.

I received the 6 channel InkBird for Christmas. I can say it works great. I love the Bluetooth phone app!

I also received the Ambidextrous Backlit Instant Read thermometer from ThermoPro. That is another high quality piece of kit. I have no reason to doubt that their single and dual probe thermometers are not great as well. As a TP-08 owner, you can confirm this!

Another brand that I consistently hear good things about, but I have not personally used, is FireBoard.

I hope that helps. Good luck in your decision.

Have a Great New Year!

Ray

I went from Maverick to ThermoPro (Smoke) and were happy with both; however, both had accessory problems.

The Mavericks had difficulty maintaining calibration. I don't remember which model I had. I was not impressed. I am sure there are good models though. Also, the battery doors broke real fast and after a few years forced me to buy something new. That is when I went to the ThermoPro Smoke. It worked fabulous for a few years but the probes started to burn out at the fire end. When that happened I bought the high heat probes. You would think the ones that come with the unit were high heat. Go figure. Anyway, now one of those has failed. The connector at the unit head wont stay in.

My YS640 came with a Fireboard installed. It has worked great this past year with about 15 smokes and the app is awesome. I can read and adjust temperature from anywhere I have cell service.

I am trying to get away with the probes and such on my other smokers. I have installed thermometers in each of my smokers with ones I am confident in to run true. I use them to guide my temps and then I use a ThermoPro Pop to probe the meat as needed. I do have a ThermoPro Dot for meats that I really do not want to over cook.

Anyway, I am sure I went off topic. I happened to be jacked up from coffee this morning. LOL

Cheers POP

It could just be the probes which are probably less expensive to replace than buying a whole new thermometer. I had an old Maverick a few years back and I had to replace the probes a few times. Think they were in the $10 range but not sure what they cost now.

I love my Fireboard (I've had it 2-3 years). I bought the bbq pack (or something like that) that came with a bunch of probes. One of the pit temp probes wire got cut when my offset door crashed down it (I'm lucky it was the wire sitting there instead of my hand). I use it in the oven & on the stove. Right now I'm cooking a chuck on a WSM and I have 2 probes on the grate and 2 in the meat.

I got the Signals with Billows for Christmas. I was a little worried because I had read horror stories about connecting it to wifi. It connected easily and it works great. Really cool to be able to control a cook from work if I want.

I have a thermoworks smoke and a few inkbird products. I almost never use the thermoworks because I use it through the gateway and that thing always seems to give me problems. I highly recommend inkbird.

I love my Fireboard (I've had it 2-3 years). I bought the bbq pack (or something like that) that came with a bunch of probes. One of the pit temp probes wire got cut when my offset door crashed down it (I'm lucky it was the wire sitting there instead of my hand). I use it in the oven & on the stove. Right now I'm cooking a chuck on a WSM and I have 2 probes on the grate and 2 in the meat.

+1 for FireBoard.

I’ve had mine for a year and it’s been worth every penny. Bonus points for having the port built in for attaching a blower.

Hey guys - I need your expert recommendations. I still have my trusty TP-08 but need to replace the XR-50 (only had it for a year and it's temps are all wrong -- my last cook came out dry because of it). Only reason I know is that my WSM temp gauge is only about 25 deg. off from the TP-08 or the XR-50...except the last time when it was off by about 50 - 60 degrees. I didn't think much on it because it was extremely cold and I was smoking in the rain...

Regardless, the XR-50 is shot. I'm looking at the Thermoworks Signals 4-Channel but it is pricey (yes, I'm sure you get what you pay for)...

While the TP-08 still works fine, I used the XR-50 when I was cooking more than 1 item.

Any other brands or models that I should consider? If it matters, the most I've ever cooked at once was a fatty, wings and a brisket (at the top grate) of the 22.5" WSM.

Thanks to all for reading and recommending!

TC

I have a brand new XR 40 in the box with a case I'd sell to you cheap. I have it up on Ebay if you want to take a look. I'd take the best offer too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254464845029?ul_noapp=true

Had one of these Maverick xr-50's catch my eye Sunday at an Academy. I've never owned a remote Therm- just a couple of Dots and an (almost) instant read. Whipped out my phone- looked at the reviews and almost bought it- and then decided against it. I'm a cheap/broke bastid - what can I say?

But...this thread has got me thinking about one of the Inkbird products. Seem to have quite the following.

Back