THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just to let you know...Yes, LANG is the BEST stick burner, I have a lang 84 deluxe, with a charcoal grill added to the front for finishing ribs/cooking chicken at the comps. that happens to be for sale!!! I Know, I know, I shouldn't use this particular thread to sell it, and you don't need to buy mine, but it kinda ties into the discussion...as for stick burners, and having to tend to them alot,...buy a guru and any stickburner will be as low maintenance as anything else!! I found this out by trial and error, we used to burn twice as much fuel and not get any sleep at comps., tried a charcoal box, minion method, etc..bought the guru and had to fine tune that too...started with one fan, then added another, but now that we got it figured out, it's a piece of cake...I would definately recommend any reverse flow smoker, from any manufacturer. as they cook consistantly on both sides, no hot spots next to the firebox!!! langs seem to be the best bang for the buck...next build a new table for the fire box with sides on it, similar to the charcoal boxes that Klose builds, we can stack 2 20lb. bags of kingsford and 4-5 good size apple logs on top, will burn for hours with the guru running without ever checking on it, if you want you can build a charcoal chute for the firebox, so you can add coals without opening the door and getting a face full of fire., as for the warmer, do whatever you can to buy one WITH a warmer!!!they work awesome at competitions if you go to any...here's why, every piece of meat cooks a little different, say you get your brisket done way before you need to turn it in, throw it in the warmer wait till 5 min. before turn in, pull it slice it, turn it in..it'll be like it just came off the smoker.not cold, or overcooked, just right...sorry to ramble on, but i had to get my .02 in...hope this helps

Of course its the best if your selling it.........:becky: I have ADD and zoned out in the rest of your post:icon_blush:

Whoomp, there It Is! :whoo:

I would suggest a Backwoods Smoker.

af900323a6ee12ceb5335ee54720.jpg

I second that motion! I appreciate the versatility of the Backwoods more every day! I've also begun experimenting with ways to make it burn at the right temp for an extended period of time without tending it, and also with no water. This process in itself is a blast! I don't think you could go wrong with a Backwoods, and it fits within your bubget! :thumb:

"Lang is the best stick burner." You know what, that's a pretty big statement right there. I doubt that a standard Lang can compete with a Jambo on fuel efficiency. I love my Jambo and will not agree that a Lang is "the best." Now, is Lang one of the best? Sure, I can go there. But, I can't say it's "the best." I'll put my Jambo up against ANY stick burning offset at anytime anywhere.

"Lang is the best stick burner." You know what, that's a pretty big statement right there. I doubt that a standard Lang can compete with a Jambo on fuel efficiency. I love my Jambo and will not agree that a Lang is "the best." Now, is Lang one of the best? Sure, I can go there. But, I can't say it's "the best." I'll put my Jambo up against ANY stick burning offset at anytime anywhere.

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN!? :boxing::p

You mean this one?

To be offended. An evil state of mind that causes censorship, kills freedom of speech, destroys urban dictionary definitions (via the remove button), and ruins video games as well as many other things.

People who are able to by "offended" by anything are the worst people on earth. Keep an open mind about things and live and let live. Don't ruin things for other people just because you can't take it. Not everything is pleasent in this world and if you can't take it then you need to grow up.

You mean this one?

To be offended. An evil state of mind that causes censorship, kills freedom of speech, destroys urban dictionary definitions (via the remove button), and ruins video games as well as many other things.

People who are able to by "offended" by anything are the worst people on earth. Keep an open mind about things and live and let live. Don't ruin things for other people just because you can't take it. Not everything is pleasent in this world and if you can't take it then you need to grow up.

No, this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3hywjkv

I am not offended, you are my friend.

Thank you all.................

Yes, I titled this thread "Lang - The best stick burner?" - but in the body of my original post, it says "dollar for dollar and most bang for your buck - is Lang the best?"

I think most would lean toward YES.

Now, if we said "Best stick burner on earth?" - No, Lang would not even be considered. And we all know "Jambo" is not "value based" with "maximum bang for your buck", but it's gotta be the best looking son of a smoker alive!!!!! Dang they are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to take a moment to say "thank you" to each and every one of you who took the time to reply here. This is a great site and I am thankful to be a member.

I think most would lean toward YES.

I still don't agree. The backyard Jambo is $1775.00. That's a pretty good deal for a smoker with 7 gauge steel, and 2" thick insulated fire box made of 1/4" steel and SS hardware and impeccable workmanship.

I still don't agree. The backyard Jambo is $1775.00. That's a pretty good deal for a smoker with 7 gauge steel, and 2" thick insulated fire box made of 1/4" steel and SS hardware and impeccable workmanship.

JamBoshizzle, my nizzle!

Only $12,000! :becky:

J5-4.JPG

Yeah, but you can get a Jambo that cooks Q just as well as the one with all of the eye candy for under $2000.00.

One of the things to consider is that with reverse flow, you have little to no "hot spot" due to the pan. In smaller smokers, I personally think this makes a big difference due to the percentage of space used by the hot spot.

Also, if you are going to get a Jambo, why wouldn't you get the biggest and best? Heck, its like buying a Porche Boxter.. Cool, but everybody knows you bought one because you can't afford a 911. Or you are a girl... :)

One of the things to consider is that with reverse flow, you have little to no "hot spot" due to the pan. In smaller smokers, I personally think this makes a big difference due to the percentage of space used by the hot spot.

The same can be said of Langs. But, there are no spurious hot spots in my Jambo outside of the typical slightly higher temp on the firebox side.

Also, if you are going to get a Jambo, why wouldn't you get the biggest and best? Heck, its like buying a Porche Boxter.. Cool, but everybody knows you bought one because you can't afford a 911. Or you are a girl... :)

That's what I think of Lang owners who don't own a Lang 108. Why settle for a prissy little 60? :heh:

Back