THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
lets say you cant afford the high dollar shirley or jambo offset cookers or you just want to try out a stick burner to see if you like them... whats some good reasonably priced offset cookers? not trying to compete, just a backyard warrior looking for something different than my wsm 22". id hate to spend top dollar for a really nice offset and not like it.

The Old Country Brazos at $1,000 deserves consideration.

Its cook chamber is 20 X 40 , you get 1/4's steel , exhaust at grate level , a good sized stack, and a FB that could be bigger but is not bad at 20" .

Yes, the door will leak cuz like most pipe stick burners its going to " warp " or " spring " , but I solved that problem with some RTV sealant and a couple of clamps.

Depends on your budget, but for a grand, the old country pit as noted above is hard to beat I think. Heavy steel, decent design and Jeremy yoder of mad scientist bbq has used one with success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd say check out the local used market ( Craigslist, Facebook, etc.) And find something decent there. That would give you an opportunity to try out stick burning and then decide if you want to invest in a better stick burner.

Or find a friend with a stick burner and offer to help run the rig on a long cook. It only took me one night burning sticks to realize I love sleep too much

Finding a used one could be a great way to go. There are deals to be had, just gotta watch for 'em and be ready when they come up.

Finding a pre-owned Pecos or Brazos might be easier then buying a new one.
I looked yesterday and there's none to be had that I can see.

Yep, Facebook marketplace is your friend to find a used one. Be ready to pounce if you see one though. Also keep eyes peeled here...a member here just sold a Klose offset for like a grand...that’s a cooker that will last for decades and can’t be touched anywhere for a grand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will agree with buying used. If you do buy something new I would pay extra to get Shirley or LSG. If you like stick burning then you'll have a great cooker. If you don't like burning sticks then you will have a pit that holds its resale value better than the cheap offsets.

I would either go for a Brazos or just buy a Shirley. The problem with that is once you get the Brazos, you're going to want the Shirley, and you just dropped a grand that would have gotten you halfway there.

Yes, to an extent. The Brazos would sell easily for $600 + .

Course, the optimum would be to buy the used Brazos for $600 Which is what I was fortunate enough to find. And I think I could sell it for $600 today, almost 3 years after I bought it.

Well, where I'm at right now, I have a Brazos. And a WSM, a 26 Kettle, a MT Kettle.

Do I really want to spend $3,000 on a quality backyard offset ?

It makes more sense for me to add a Rec Teq 590. Then that and the Brazos would be very adequate for what I want to do.

Another guy for keeping an eye on the used marketplace. It's how I worked my way through different styles of cookers to see what you really want. If you have patience you will eventually find a steal (made of steel) <----see what I did there? ;)

There's a Brazon in Frankston, Tx for sale on Facebook Marketplace. Its at $850 and been listed for 12 weeks. Says its like new, used 3 times.

Last edited:
The Old Country Brazos at $1,000 deserves consideration.

Its cook chamber is 20 X 40 , you get 1/4's steel , exhaust at grate level , a good sized stack, and a FB that could be bigger but is not bad at 20" .

Yes, the door will leak cuz like most pipe stick burners its going to " warp " or " spring " , but I solved that problem with some RTV sealant and a couple of clamps.

more like 18 x 36.

Back