THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm guessing here but, They may have made the early ones out of LP tanks and now roll up new metal and weld flat ends on. That is what I can figure. That is way safer than cutting into a propane tank.

You are correct as to why the design has changed as they no longer use propane cylinders. However, I don't believe that they ever made their smokers out of used propane cylinders. I'm pretty sure that's a liability risk that no company would be willing to take on. I could be wrong though.

got14u,

If I remember correctly, the reason for poor craftmanship was due to the local HS welding class doing the welding for him. I'm not sure if the same practice is being done today though?

Crappy customer service?

If I remember correctly, the reason for poor craftmanship was due to the local HS welding class doing the welding for him. I'm not sure if the same practice is being done today though?

Whoa! He's got high school kids welding these things? Also, I've submitted TWO emails to LANG Company asking a few questions and they haven't replied at all. I've also seen forum posts and youtube videos stating the company will not return emails.
How's THAT for customer service? If that's how people are treated BEFORE they get your money, imagine how you're treated AFTER they get your money.

Whoa! He's got high school kids welding these things? Also, I've submitted TWO emails to LANG Company asking a few questions and they haven't replied at all. I've also seen forum posts and youtube videos stating the company will not return emails.
How's THAT for customer service? If that's how people are treated BEFORE they get your money, imagine how you're treated AFTER they get your money.

Snyper77,

The image is not an accurate portrayal of Lang's quality today.
That pic is a very old and not allowable nor acceptable today.
Ben's shop is nothing but quality today.

Look thru the pics I have under my profile... there are a bunch of images of 2nd and third generation of Lang smokers.

If there was such hacked up welds... I would not be using Langs today.
[The 48 patio is 3rd gen, the 60 mobile is second generation]
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I have a 60D, and like Lake Dogs, primarily use the verticle to cook beans, keep sauce warm, side dishes, ect..... But I wouldn't trade the cooker for anything, love every aspect of it. (once I got a charcoal basket for it)

For some folks Lang is the best...not for others. There are several quality stickburners on the market...Meadow Creek, Klose, Gator, Bubba just to name a few...get what you can afford that will do what you want it to do. Remember...the magic is not in the pit...it is in the Pitmaster. Good luck!

I've had my Lang for several years and got nothing to say but good stuff about it. To be brief it's consistant, trouble free and ya can cook anything on it from a babie's phart to a clap of thunder so to speak!! :clap:

P1010014-1-1.jpg

Hey BBQ Bandit, how is that 48 Patio Model? I have been looking into purchasing a Lang, and that is the Model I am leaning toward.

Hey BBQ Bandit, how is that 48 Patio Model? I have been looking into purchasing a Lang, and that is the Model I am leaning toward.

The 48 patio is a well made cooker. Have no real complaints about it, love the versatility and capacity. Really got to know it when it was fully loaded... easily handling 100 lbs of meat... without a problem.

The only drawback... it weighs 800 lbs... out of 1/4" steel. If you keep it on a paved surface... no biggie... until it sinks into softer ground surfaces.
(Got a fix for that).
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63163&highlight=sleeve

Do you want to have a stick burner and tend the fire? If so Lang and some of the others stick burners are great from what I have heard. I had a smaller sidebox and had it modded to run pretty efficiently, but now have a TnT (Stumps Type smoker) and love it. Can hold a ton of meat and never have to worry about tending the fire.

Like Bob said Craigslist....... you cant hurt a lang a used one is as good as a new one and here on the brethren we have a way of getting smokers across county(leapfrogging) to make it eaiser.....

Get as much Lang as you can afford... you'll find meat for it... trust me.
[You will find used Langs for sale on Craigslist for much less]

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/for/2465116617.html
Keystone Heights, FL - Lang 84 $2,500

There's your gas money - go get it!

Hmmmmm........ I've had several people ask me "Do you really want to tend to a fire pit for hours and hours....or do you want to set it and forget it - and still get great results?"
I do see the good and bad in both. I enjoy tending a fire, but on the other hand, when it's an 8 hour boston butt (or longer), that's a long time to babysit a fire. What if I wanna smoke some meat on a Saturday, AND go bass fishing? Can't do it with a stick burner, but I could with a STUMP.

Damn....decisions.

I sure appreciate all you taking the time to give your opinions.

There's no doubt that a stick burner also burns up your time. It has to be watched and tended to. I have a Klose 42 inch back yard smoker and I cant go for to much more than an hour without tending to the fire

Hmmmmm........ I've had several people ask me "Do you really want to tend to a fire pit for hours and hours....or do you want to set it and forget it - and still get great results?"
I do see the good and bad in both. I enjoy tending a fire, but on the other hand, when it's an 8 hour boston butt (or longer), that's a long time to babysit a fire. What if I wanna smoke some meat on a Saturday, AND go bass fishing? Can't do it with a stick burner, but I could with a STUMP.

Damn....decisions.

I sure appreciate all you taking the time to give your opinions.

Whoomp, there It Is! :whoo:

I would suggest a Backwoods Smoker.

af900323a6ee12ceb5335ee54720.jpg

Last edited:
I don't own a Lang but have cooked on them and love a reverse flow smoker. Really good smoke flavor and holds a lot of meat, an 84 will hold 40-45 butts. You do have to tend the fire but I would say not every hour but sooner than 2 hours. Depends on how easy you want to make your life.

Here are some pictures of mine and here are some pictures of a lang I got to smoke on, just want you to know the options and a shameless pluge to go along with it :doh:
DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

and the lang......84"
DSC_00070007.jpg

DSC_00080008-1.jpg

DSC_00100010.jpg

Not a big fan of langs but they are close to you.....google western smokers or search on here!!!!

whatever your decision I wish the best...try looking at uprights for a alternative, spicewines,mine,backwoods, ect.......

While I haven't used one of Jerod's smokers, i do know they're top quality from his build posts. Shoot him a PM and I'm sure he'd talk options.

I have looked over a lot of Lang smokers and have never seen anything like those photos. Now, I have a Jambo and am very pleased with it and it was constructed with impeccable quality and has a standard insulated fire box. But, I have been impressed by all of the Langs that I have seen too.

Back