New Offset Stick Burner Questions

MFL

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Pat
I currently have a Stump's Baby Gravity fed smoker and love it. I want to add a stick burner to my arsenal and have been researching, reading, studying and basically killing my self trying to decide which to purchase. One of the finalists is the Shirley 24 x 36. My biggest concern is grate spacing. My one complaint with my Stumps is 4.5" grate spacing which is not enough for my Pork Butts that I purchase (10lbs). The Shirley increases this to 5" but I question if that is enough? It is not often that I would need to fill all 3 racks but it has happened in the past and want the extra capacity.
I thought I had landed a used LSG 24 x 48 offset but the guy backed out after realizing he priced it to low.
I am located in Michigan and wish someone who builds quality offsets was located within a couple hours. I also don't really want to wait 4 months for a smoker.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat

5" sounds short. I have a 24x48 Shirley with 3 shelves. There is 7" clearance between the bottom/middle and middle/top. Since it's not an elevated or hip roof cabinet the top grate is 4" from the ceiling. Also, I always do 10+lb butts and clearance has never been an issue. Good luck with your choice. It's maddening I know.

Shirley 24x36 patio model
Bottom grate to middle grate 6”
Middle to top 5”
Top grate to top 4”
Check out fam_eats on YouTube.
He has very informative vids on the Shirley 24x36
One of the reasons that I purchased one

A Shirley 24x36 will hold 12 Butts, full sized....I haven't done it on mine, but seen plenty of pics of them loaded up on the 24x36 Facebook group so that mean 4 on the top grate.

When I had mine built, I asked Tyler to add a set of rails that would allow me to only use 2 grates and split the entire height between the two grates......haven't needed them yet as everything I've cooked fits fine but there if I wanted to do a load of Turkeys or similar.

I’m currently considering the Outlaw patio smoker. They’re in Indiana and there are a few dealers up that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pics of my cooker with 4" of spacing cooking briskets and a Shirley 36 cooking butts.
2434024f1ae51a37673a4de405c85072.jpg
b8a80e0f7bae61882317bd15ed429598.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I saw where somebody was flipping the top grate upside down on the Shirley to gain a 1/2" as it does get close on the top

I saw where somebody was flipping the top grate upside down on the Shirley to gain a 1/2" as it does get close on the top
My measurement was from cooking surface to cooking surface. The 1" angle frame around the grate really doesn't matter because when you pull the grate out it will drop nearly an inch fully extended outward but tabs will hold it in place. I focused on this too until I got my cooker and then realized it was a non issue all along.

I was quoted $790-$850 for freight through Legendary for the Shirley to get to Michigan. Ouch! The Outlaw looks great and I could pick up but still will come in more expensive than the Shirley. Not as many reviews on the outlaw. I don't think I have seen anyone bash the Shirley in anyway so I feel it is the safer option.

I was quoted $790-$850 for freight through Legendary for the Shirley to get to Michigan. Ouch! The Outlaw looks great and I could pick up but still will come in more expensive than the Shirley. Not as many reviews on the outlaw. I don't think I have seen anyone bash the Shirley in anyway so I feel it is the safer option.

I’d say you are safe either way. Those Outlaw pits are very nice, but you will get more for your dollar with the Shirley.

I looked an Outlaw over at a local shop and it just oozes quality. From the stainless levers to open shutters, magnetic pull handle, insulated firebox and many other great features, you could tell it is a quality made pit.

You can’t go wrong either way.

Back