THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You are correct as to why the design has changed as they no longer use propane cylinders. However, I don't believe that they ever made their smokers out of used propane cylinders. I'm pretty sure that's a liability risk that no company would be willing to take on. I could be wrong though.

got14u,

If I remember correctly, the reason for poor craftmanship was due to the local HS welding class doing the welding for him. I'm not sure if the same practice is being done today though?

I would think it's new pipe.rolling means more expense.The old ones could have been empty propane tanks.Like never had propane in them. I really wish I could have deleted this lol

Head to Head - Bubba Grills vs. LANG

BUBBA GRILLS - $2400

• 250R (72") on 3 x 10 trailer, two sliding racks, larger fire box (compared to LANG), gas starter in fire box, 15 inch tires and trailer
LANG - $2800

• LANG 60 Original

Here are the photos:

BUBBA....
bubba.jpg

LANG........
60_original.jpg

Last edited:
And yes you need to feed it every 90 minutes. Now there are some insulated FBs and cookers and those Brethren need to tell us how well they hold their heat..

I'm not trying to hijack but this is important to what type of cooker you buy. Some folks believe you need to do it the old fashioned way and not with some computerized feeder and fans. I am one who is more traditionalist but there is huge merit to going to sleep at night for 6 hours. IMHO comps should delineated between traditional methods vs using today's technology. If I had Stumps with a Guru I would probably smoke a lot more since I wouldn't need to tend it all night but nothing replaces the camadarie of a few really good friends staying up most of the night. Regardless, you decide how you want to cook and then buy the cooker best for that method. Either way you will make some fine Q. Good Luck!!!

If I was going to spend that kind of money I would do a lot of looking , you prolly could find a local weld shop that would build one to your likeing . I have never seen a Lang in person ,but some of pictures I have seen ,there were a lot of second class welding and cutting on them. I don't know about the price but the Klose looks like a better quality. But then again bad welds will not affect your Q

a. That is a Meadowcreek reseller... a middle man distributer... which is an advertisement... not a consumer's opinion.
(Ask them who originated the reverse flow design).

b. Lang does not have authorized distributors... if you're interested in a Lang... you'll be placing an order to Ben Lang's shop directly.

c. Have seen Meadowcreek smokers in person... and am not impressed with the cost/value. Ask them if their tanks are 1/4" steel.
You'll be be paying more for less steel.

d. Their smallest smoker... which is half the size of a Lang 48... is over $2,000.

The real question is... do you want to believe in an advertisement or actual consumer's opinion and decisions?

Last edited:
Seems that most people say "stay away from stick burners". Therefore, I have a question:
Since so many people "hate" stick burners, how are companies like Lang, Klose, Gator, Bubba, Jambo and Meadow Creek staying in business?

Some of those things they point out doesn't matter when it come to good Q such as stainless grate after a couple of cooks the rust problem is gone. But I do agree the Meadow Creek looks a lot better.

Anybody stuff a wbole hog into one of them cabinet thingees? Just wondering how that works...:heh: I kid....

Truth be told, I'd actually like to have a cabinet type smoker one day (that's mo$t likely far away) to add to what I already have - those Pitmaker Pits are beautiful. I like to tend the fire in my stickburner, and sometimes the UDS is the way to go if I'm busy.

Seems that most people say "stay away from stick burners". Therefore, I have a question:
Since so many people "hate" stick burners, how are companies like Lang, Klose, Gator, Bubba, Jambo and Meadow Creek staying in business?

Some people love Chevrolet; others Ford; some 2WD, others 4WD; some gasoline, other diesel. Same with these two basic types of smokers. They each have their advantages/strengths and disadvantages/weaknesses. Doesn't make one better than the other really; just different. Largely it comes down to how you personally like to cook, whether you enjoy fire or not.

Agree with gtr, Lake Dogs, BBQ bandit and what other have said, all depends on what you want. I would and will have a PitMaker or Stumps someday with Guru so I can get some sleep when cooking butts or brisket. That said I love to cook a whole hog on a stick burner or cinderblock pit with real hickory and Apple wood and not sawdust, stay up around a fire with my friends having a beer or 10, to me that is what this is all about. Figure out what you want and go do it. Just have fun, experiment and send PRON to this site.... :-D

Just to let you know...Yes, LANG is the BEST stick burner, I have a lang 84 deluxe, with a charcoal grill added to the front for finishing ribs/cooking chicken at the comps. that happens to be for sale!!! I Know, I know, I shouldn't use this particular thread to sell it, and you don't need to buy mine, but it kinda ties into the discussion...as for stick burners, and having to tend to them alot,...buy a guru and any stickburner will be as low maintenance as anything else!! I found this out by trial and error, we used to burn twice as much fuel and not get any sleep at comps., tried a charcoal box, minion method, etc..bought the guru and had to fine tune that too...started with one fan, then added another, but now that we got it figured out, it's a piece of cake...I would definately recommend any reverse flow smoker, from any manufacturer. as they cook consistantly on both sides, no hot spots next to the firebox!!! langs seem to be the best bang for the buck...next build a new table for the fire box with sides on it, similar to the charcoal boxes that Klose builds, we can stack 2 20lb. bags of kingsford and 4-5 good size apple logs on top, will burn for hours with the guru running without ever checking on it, if you want you can build a charcoal chute for the firebox, so you can add coals without opening the door and getting a face full of fire., as for the warmer, do whatever you can to buy one WITH a warmer!!!they work awesome at competitions if you go to any...here's why, every piece of meat cooks a little different, say you get your brisket done way before you need to turn it in, throw it in the warmer wait till 5 min. before turn in, pull it slice it, turn it in..it'll be like it just came off the smoker.not cold, or overcooked, just right...sorry to ramble on, but i had to get my .02 in...hope this helps

I have a Klose BYC, I have cooked on a commercial Traeger, an FEC 100 an FEC500 and FEC750 plus an OH EL-EC and I built a UDS. They all have their pluses and minuses it all depends on what you are using one for. For catering there is nothing like a stick burner for the eye candy, for ease of use the pellet poopers are great and let you sleep. The restaurant's OH EL-EC is awesome for volume cooking. To my taste, nothing beats a offset for flavor but it comes with the price of tending the fire. For competition Jambo seems to have the best parts of each since it has an insulated firebox and great airflow design. Visit all the compeitions you can before you buy a smoker and ask a lot of questions, let your heart be your guide.

I've been where you are, pulling my hair out trying to decide. Tending the fire and having a beer with friends and family is what smoking is all about to me. I chose Lang. Whatever you decide, welcome to the family of meat cooker. Thank you all for being there for all of us. I am relatively new to the Forum and it is refreshing to know that there are so many who care enough to offer an opinion.

Kernscookin = Lang 60

Man, I wish I had these problems. I've been cooking on and doing comps with a Smoke King Deluxe for a lot of years. To have to debate what GOOD cooker to buy.

What I wouldn't give for that burden.

Back