THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I had a blast this weekend, even though I consumed a little too much alcohol.

You guy's all exhibit what it means to me to be a Brother.

I think what I got the biggest kick out of was when someone would say, "I wish I woulda thought to bring...", and across the way from Jeff we hear "I got one", hilarious. You coulda asked for the hubcap to a 94 Bonneville and he probably would have had it.

Smoke Syndicate (or wannabe illuminati) J/K, you guys have what it takes to be successful already, your friendship. Beyond the fanciest cooker and all the sponsor money in the world, nothing beats that. As long as you are making relationships and sharing the love of the Q, you are doing excellent in my book. Keep it up!

Looking forward to Racine!!

Hey guys, I was the other "virgin competitor that" Divemaster just mentioned. I had a great time this weekend and want to thank all of you for the tremendous amount of help that you provided. The first thing I did when I got home yesterday was check out the brethren and you were right, there is a wealth of knowledge here. I was thinking as all of you guys were getting your calls, how lucky we were to be surrounded by such a successful bunch of guys. Well of course now I'm hooked now and I'm allready trying to plan our next one. I know a bunch of you are doing the Menomonie Falls comp, is anyone doing the Racine comp? Thanks again guys, I had a blast!! Pete
Glad you made it here! Trust me, the knowledge is open to all, just remember that with knowledge comes responsiblity, and that is to pass it on to others!

I'm going to be cooking a bunch of butts next weekend. You are welcome to come up. PM if you're interested.
Pete, take him up on it, he kicked my butt.... (punn intended)

What a fun weekend with Brethren! Way to go Clark!!!! After all the ribbing we gave you the last couple of weeks you put us in our place with your outstanding cooking! It was a pleasure being next to you, Pimp & Jeff all weekend, we definitely had a few laughs, can't wait to do it again...

I'm looking forward to it too!

Jeff, fantastic job on your first KCBS comp & I look forward to going head to head with you again in the Falls in a few weeks, 7th overall, very impressive!
Thanks, knowing that I had brothers there to cover my back made it alot easier!

Harbor, Dive & Pimp you are all TRUE embassadors of BBQ, whether it was Clark talking to the crowd about his extrodinary collection of WSM's & explaining that yes you to can cook BBQ in your backyard & can get started with a WSM for a reasonable price, although I couldn't figure out why you were telling people that they would never ever find a WSM on Craig's list :wink: To Pimp & Jeff helping out the Smoke Syndicate with the issues that they were having in their first contest & working the crowd also, great job guys you make another brethren very proud to be associated with you guys!
I seem to recall you doing a fair amount of talking to the people too. I also was thinking about the prices that Clark was saying and remembering that he only paid like $20 for one of his.... Interesting, very interesting...:lol:

Pete I will be at the Falls & in Racine, if you can do one I would probably suggest Racine, it is a bit different than other comps in that you get to stay at the Zoo & hearing the lion roar at 2 AM is a treat, it is on the shores of Lake Michigan & in my opinion it is well run, hope to see you there! PM me with your email address & I can send you the entry form if you want.
I agree that if you can only do one of the two, Racine would be the one. It's a very cool setup!

I'm planning on putting some tuning plates in my pit on Saturday. I noticed that was how you had yours set up and couldn't help but think that that was a pretty good idea.
Do a search and you may find more modifications (or mods) that would work for you. There is a TON of knowledge here and more than enough people willing to answer your questions.

BTW, our team was "The Smoke Syndicate", we finnished 27 overall. As Papa Hogg mentioned, it's better than DAL. The two categories that my teamate and I were really there to compete in, (Ribs & Chix) we got 19th & 21st respectively. All in all I'm fairly happy with that for first comp and I think we both picked up a ton of knowledge as far as what the judges are looking for and how to get our product to that level. Pete
Avoiding the dredded DAL and 13th place chicken is always my goal. You guys did great! Just do me a favor and shut off the alarm on that damn remote thermo!!!!! (j/k... maybe lol)

I think what I got the biggest kick out of was when someone would say, "I wish I woulda thought to bring...", and across the way from Jeff we hear "I got one", hilarious. You coulda asked for the hubcap to a 94 Bonneville and he probably would have had it.
Sorry, no 94... but I do have one to a 93... Really....

Smoke Syndicate (or wannabe illuminati) J/K, you guys have what it takes to be successful already, your friendship. Beyond the fanciest cooker and all the sponsor money in the world, nothing beats that. As long as you are making relationships and sharing the love of the Q, you are doing excellent in my book. Keep it up!
Truer words have not been spoken!

It was a great weekend. Clark, it was nice seeing you again and watching you get two walks your first time out. Like Matt, I didn't get a chance to come over and see you setup, but it obivously worked. We will definitely do Princeton again next year. We will also be doing the Big Pig Gig in Menomonee Falls this year. Here's hoping we find an edible piece of brisket to turn in. We could have been closer to you in the overall if we hadn't found the 38th place brisket in our cooker. Oh well, more practice to come.

One of the things I learned this weekend is that the people who cook at comps are the nicest people in the world, and it's disappointing that there's so much work to do on your own cooking that there is not enough time to sit down and visit with people you would really like to.
I too would have liked to have spent some time getting to know the Freeman Brothers, Smoke Syndicate, and Matt from Jellyroll, as well as many others. A great showing by everybody though.
Unfortunately I will not be able to make Racine (that's the last weekend of September, right?). I will be cooking my award winning pulled pork (God I love typing that!) for our churches one-year anniversary celebration.

Pimpsmoke said:
I think what I got the biggest kick out of was when someone would say, "I wish I woulda thought to bring...", and across the way from Jeff we hear "I got one", hilarious.
Allow me to elaborate. at about 2:00 am Saturday, I'm trying to get some sleep and someone says "Hey, anyone got a potato?" and Divemaster chimes in "Yeah! Just a sec!"
I laid there smiling like an idiot and shook my head in disbelief.

Allow me to elaborate. at about 2:00 am Saturday, I'm trying to get some sleep and someone says "Hey, anyone got a potato?" and Divemaster chimes in "Yeah! Just a sec!"
I laid there smiling like an idiot and shook my head in disbelief.
What happened was that one of my guys backed out the last minute and I had an extra potato from dinner (uncooked)... Heck, if he had asked nice I had an extra steak too!

I sounds like you guys had a great time! Congrats to all of the brethren, but especially to the new guys! Great job,Clark and Pimpy and to Pete too.

We'll be joining the fun in Menomonee Falls and Racine.

Back