THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If any one is coming in from I39 via hwy 23 thru Montello,hwy 23 is closed from 39 to Montello.The easiest way to avoid the long bypass is to catch the next exit north of 23 which is Westfield HWY J which is the only exit for Westfield.Turn Right on J which will take you to Princetons Northside hwy73 right on 73 will take you to the grounds.If any one has problems they can call my cell 608-617-8502.See ya all friday TICK TOCK>>>still nervous Clark :shock:

Has anyone heard from Clark or is he curled up in the fetal postion sucking his thumb?

Has anyone heard from Clark or is he curled up in the fetal postion sucking his thumb?
Been a busy boy. Changed ISPs last week and it wasn't working, so I couldn't get on the net from home. Got a trailer hitch put on the van and worked on the wiring until 1:00am today.
Picking up meat today, and getting the van and trailer loaded tonight. Hopefully it will be an early bedtime.
See you all on Friday.
By the way, why is my thumb all white and wrinkly? :mrgreen:

Been a busy boy. Got a trailer hitch put on the van and worked on the wiring until 1:00am today.
Picking up meat today, and getting the van and trailer loaded tonight. Hopefully it will be an early bedtime.
See you all on Friday.
By the way, why is my thumb all white and wrinkly? :mrgreen:
Man Clark, you mean that you haven't really tested the new hitch???? Could be we DO find that WSM in the middle of the highway! Tell me you really checked out that wiring... one mistake and you could have all kinds of problems!!!!

I sure hope that you can find all the meat you need... Heard there's been a run on brisket and pork butts... I'm sure you can find more than enough chicken wings to make up a box though... I'm also sure that you can find some ribs that only have a couple of shiners per slab....

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock... How you holding out Clark????

Results:

Chicken
1. 2 Fat Bikers
2. Jellyroll Jones
3. Burning Ring of Fire
4. Windy City Smokers
5. Pigs Without Blankets
6. Dr. Porkenstein
7. Nothing Knew BBQ
8. Bringin' the Heat
9. Sowbellies
10. Grill Heads

Ribs
1. Dr. Porkenstein
2. Mokey Joel/Cubby Bear
3. Bringin' the Heat
4. Stockcar BBQ
5. Cancer Sucks Chicago
6. Windy City Smokers
7. Fat Andy's Backyard BBQ
8. Sowbellies
9. Porkrastinators
10. Papa Hogg and the Piglets

Pork
1. Bringin' the Heat
2. Dr. Porkenstein
3. Jellyroll Jones
4. Grill Heads
5. Pigs Without Blankets
6. Wyocena Yacht Club Q Crew
7. Burning Ring of Fire
8. 2 Fat Bikers
9. Freeman Bothers BBQ
10. It's the Pits

Brisket
1. Porkrastinators
2. Dr. Porkenstein
3. The Smoke Hunters
4. Sowbellies
5. Wyocena Yacht Club Q Crew
6. QU Smokin Crew
7. Stock Car BBQ
8. Papa Hogg and the Piglets
9. 2 Fat Bikers
10. Cancer Sucks Chicago

Overall
GC Dr. Porkenstein
RGC Porkrastinators
3. 2 Fat Bikers
4. Jellyroll Jones
5. Bringin' the Heat
6. Windy City Smokers
7. Stock Car BBQ
8. Sowbellies
9. Papa Hogg and the Piglets
10. Cancer Sucks Chicago
11. Wyocena Yacht Club Q Crew
12. The smoke Hunters
13. Fat andy's Backyard BBQ
14. Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
15. QU Smokin Krewe
16. Grill Heads
17. Pigs Without Blankets
18. Burning Ring od Fire
19. Freeman Brothers BBQ
20. Nothing Knew BBQ

Last edited:
Well starting to feel human again after some sleep.I have to figure out how to grab a few hours sleep at a contest.Lesson learned this week dont cook no skinny brisket.Had a good time with all the guys and made some new friends.39 teams actually competed.

Thank you all!
Pimpsmoke was my secret assistant cook, and I could not have done it without him. We looked at each other in disbelief when we got the pork call, and neither of us could get out of our chairs on the Brisket call cuz I think we both chit our britches. I'll try and get pics posted of the entries later.

BTW, my ribs finished 33rd. They were bad. I would not want to try any of the ribs that finished below ours.

It was a blessing to cook next to Divemaster and Papa Hogg. They were helpful, fun, honest, generous. In other words, they were Brethren.

Congratulations to all of the Brethren who heard their names called yesterday, and to Coz especially for an outsatnding showing.

Nice work Clark, congratulations on your first ever contest. It was nice to finallly meet you on Friday. I had hoped to stop by your tent, I am not sure I have ever seen 30lbs of chicken thighs in one place before. Instead, I lost $20 dollars, and 10x as many brain cells playing Euchre with the Freeman Bros. It was nice to see you guys hit the stage, congrats again.

Matt

Hey Matt, I forgot you joined here and have updated the results to include you as Brethren. You had a greeat weekend!
I managed to keep my consumption of the adult beverages to 4 prior to turn ins. I think that helped me!
I'm posting pics of my turn ins. It's amazing what you can see in a pic that you can't see day of comp on one hour sleep. I know what's wrong with each entry and what to improve. (If I do this again)
If a couple of the pics look familiar, I saw pics here that I liked so much I made my entries look like them. Whoever posted those pics, thanks!
15th place chicken (Some day when we all have time I'll relate the story of the "Great 20 pounds of Chicken Thighs Debacle") The Readers Digest version: 20 lbs of thighs and we couldn't get 6 that were worth turning in.
resizedchickenentry.jpg

33rd place ribs (Yes, it was a fair score)
resizedribentry.jpg

6th place pork
resizedporkentry.jpg

5th place brisket
resizedbrisketentry.jpg

Thanks to all and it was great seeing all of you that I could!!!!

All I can say is WOW!!!! This was one incredible experience and I can guarantee you that this won’t be my last! This was my first KCBS event and it was worth it.

I want to complement the organizers on event well done!

Clark, I want to thank you for being such a great sport. We gave you all the grief that we could come up with and you took it the way it was intended, all in good fun. I couldn’t be more proud of how you did and the setup you had! Looks like the ‘Oldest WSM’ still has some cooks left in her. You and Pimp made a great combination!!!

Coz, it was great seeing you again! Thanks for the salmon and congrats again on the walks.

Papa Hogg, you made a great time even better! You did great! Like I said, your going to have trouble with those two daughters of yours and you better start getting those shotguns ready!

I couldn’t have been more proud of the Brethren than when another virgin competitor started setting up across from us. Their problem started with a bad ‘not-so-easy-up’ and went on through the night. I think there were brethren around them to very late in the night. One of the team members made the comment to me that he couldn’t beleave that we would help him out as much as we did. I tried to explain that’s the way we do things but I think the actions spoke louder than words. Once again, I’m proud to be able to call you all brothers!

I think the best part was when Papa Hogg was walking down from the stage and I heard in the background “Fear the Pig! Fear the Pig!” and it continued through the GC presentation.

Just a couple of pic's... Here is the famous Wyocena Yacht Club Q Crew before the presentation of awards...
DSCF2473.jpg

They did seem to wake up when thier names were called...
DSCF2477-1.jpg

Here's Papa Hogg after one of his walks...
DSCF2475.jpg

Thanks again for all that helped and congrats to all that competed, you did us all proud!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was the other "virgin competitor that" Divemaster just mentioned. I had a great time this weekend and want to thank all of you for the tremendous amount of help that you provided. The first thing I did when I got home yesterday was check out the brethren and you were right, there is a wealth of knowledge here. I was thinking as all of you guys were getting your calls, how lucky we were to be surrounded by such a successful bunch of guys. Well of course now I'm hooked now and I'm allready trying to plan our next one. I know a bunch of you are doing the Menomonie Falls comp, is anyone doing the Racine comp? Thanks again guys, I had a blast!! Pete

Good to hear from you so soon Pete!
I wish I could have gotten over to help you a little, but I had my hands full. Besides, Dive, Pimp, and Papa already had you under their wings. You were in good hands.
I'm going to be cooking a bunch of butts next weekend. You are welcome to come up. PM if you're interested.
I hope you had a good time. BTW, what was your team name?

What a fun weekend with Brethren! Way to go Clark!!!! After all the ribbing we gave you the last couple of weeks you put us in our place with your outstanding cooking! It was a pleasure being next to you, Pimp & Jeff all weekend, we definitely had a few laughs, can't wait to do it again...

Jeff, fantastic job on your first KCBS comp & I look forward to going head to head with you again in the Falls in a few weeks, 7th overall, very impressive!

Harbor, Dive & Pimp you are all TRUE embassadors of BBQ, whether it was Clark talking to the crowd about his extrodinary collection of WSM's & explaining that yes you to can cook BBQ in your backyard & can get started with a WSM for a reasonable price, although I couldn't figure out why you were telling people that they would never ever find a WSM on Craig's list :wink: To Pimp & Jeff helping out the Smoke Syndicate with the issues that they were having in their first contest & working the crowd also, great job guys you make another brethren very proud to be associated with you guys!

Pete I will be at the Falls & in Racine, if you can do one I would probably suggest Racine, it is a bit different than other comps in that you get to stay at the Zoo & hearing the lion roar at 2 AM is a treat, it is on the shores of Lake Michigan & in my opinion it is well run, hope to see you there! PM me with your email address & I can send you the entry form if you want.

Once again congrats to all the brothers that took walks!

Thanks Clark! I'll let you know if I'm able to make it up next weekend. I'm planning on putting some tuning plates in my pit on Saturday. I noticed that was how you had yours set up and couldn't help but think that that was a pretty good idea. BTW, our team was "The Smoke Syndicate", we finnished 27 overall. As Papa Hogg mentioned, it's better than DAL. The two categories that my teamate and I were really there to compete in, (Ribs & Chix) we got 19th & 21st respectively. All in all I'm fairly happy with that for first comp and I think we both picked up a ton of knowledge as far as what the judges are looking for and how to get our product to that level. Pete

Back