LANG - The best stick burner?

snyper77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
New to smoking and I'd like a good cooker. I've got a $3000 budget and looking for a mobile unit.

Dollar for dollar.......
Most bang for the buck.........
Is Lang the way to go?

If so, my choices are:

• 48 Deluxe w/warmer $2695
  • 60 Original (no warmer) $2795
  • 60 Deluxe w/warmer $3495
Is the warmer very useful? Worth the extra $700?

In that same reverse-flow offset type, I'd suggest that you also consider Bubba Grills (www.bubbagrills.net).

<--- this from a guy that owns a Lang and loves it. Lonnie's smokers have a few different features and if I recall correctly he's a few hundred less than Ben.

I have the warmer. I use it to warm the wood and keep it dry. Also, when outdoors I use it to warm things like beans, etc.

The way to go is a Lang 84 long neck with warmer..........you will want no other.

No, but most of the time I cook the beans indoors...
:crazy:

Outdoors, like when camping, or when at competitions and the RV stove/oven aren't available...

I've heard great things about Lang, but have no firsthand experience with them - but about the warmer/vertical chamber - I have one on my Klose and I absolutely love it. I can't imagine not having one now.

The Lang 84 is a nice cooker, in fact I have a Lang 84 deluxe but if I had to do all over again I would have saved a bit more money and bought a Jaime Geer (Jambo Pits) pit. They are the absolute best stick burners IMHO.

Can you regulate the temp in the warmer box for cooking beans, ribs, etc.? Also, when did LANG go to their new "flat end" barrel design as opposed to their "bubble end" design? Any idea WHY they did that?

Can you regulate the temp in the warmer box for cooking beans, ribs, etc.?

Not in mine, but mine is probably one of the very first they produced (MANY years ago). The temps in my warming box vary from just under 200 down to 170.

In that same reverse-flow offset type, I'd suggest that you also consider Bubba Grills (www.bubbagrills.net).

<--- this from a guy that owns a Lang and loves it. Lonnie's smokers have a few different features and if I recall correctly he's a few hundred less than Ben.

I have the warmer. I use it to warm the wood and keep it dry. Also, when outdoors I use it to warm things like beans, etc.

Lonnie at Bubba Grills just sent me an email stating:
[FONT=&quot]250R (72") on 3 x 10 trailer, two sliding racks, larger fire box (compared to LANG), gas starter in fire box, 15 inch tires and trailer, $2400 - call me on my cell[/FONT]
bubba.JPG

bubba.JPG

Last edited:
Ohhh that thang is PURDY! Now you got me wantin' one... 2,600 mile round trip is really gettin' in the way of this dream... :mad: Cheers!!!

I absolutely love my Klose mobile pit.

I was asking the same questions about 6 years ago. I bought a Lang 84 as my first cooker just because I always had wanted a big mobile cooker. You will need a good supply of wood and a good place to store wood. IMO, proper wood management is a key to success. I wish I had bit the bullet and bought the warmer, but not sure why since I rarely use the smoker and would user warmer even less (cooler works great). It is too big for most of my cooking and consumes a lot of fuel. I would urge you to exercise as much patience as possible and you will eventually find a used unit and save lots of dollars. Waking up at 3 am or staying up all night to cook roasts for lunch got old really quick. Therefore, I bought an insulated gravity feed Baby Stumps and it is my favorite cooker. I also have a Stumps 2x3 offset that I bought for $700 used. The WSM was a great cooker until I bought the Baby and fan controller. Playing in the fire was fun, is fun at times, but not always. A set it and forget it cooker infuriates some die-hard folks, but it is your choice.

Lots of good cookers will make good Q as your skills improve. An offset is the way to go with stick burners and a Lang will last a lifetime. The size really depends on how much you want to spread out. If you cook chicken, ABTs, ribs, taters, corn, and other stuff it is good to have space for convenience, but not always necessary.

Lang%252520loaded%2525204%252520hamlin.JPG

IMG_0028.jpg

Like I said, I have a Lang. That's by accident (that I have it and not a Bubba Grills), but it's very good too. They're both very similar, and very well made.

I do know that Lonnie is a great guy, and very reputable, and very honest. I dont know Ben so I can't comment there. I'm sure he's a very good guy too...

New to smoking and I'd like a good cooker. I've got a $3000 budget and looking for a mobile unit.

Dollar for dollar.......
Most bang for the buck.........
Is Lang the way to go?

If so, my choices are:

• 48 Deluxe w/warmer $2695
  • 60 Original (no warmer) $2795
  • 60 Deluxe w/warmer $3495
Is the warmer very useful? Worth the extra $700?

In that case I would go for the 60 Deluxe w/warmer for $3495. If you are catering or vending the warming box is invaluable.

60_deluxe.jpg

Last edited:
Can you regulate the temp in the warmer box for cooking beans, ribs, etc.? Also, when did LANG go to their new "flat end" barrel design as opposed to their "bubble end" design? Any idea WHY they did that?

I'm guessing here but, They may have made the early ones out of LP tanks and now roll up new metal and weld flat ends on. That is what I can figure. That is way safer than cutting into a propane tank.

Here are some pictures of mine and here are some pictures of a lang I got to smoke on, just want you to know the options and a shameless pluge to go along with it :doh:
DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

and the lang......84"
DSC_00070007.jpg

DSC_00080008-1.jpg

DSC_00100010.jpg

Not a big fan of langs but they are close to you.....google western smokers or search on here!!!!

whatever your decision I wish the best...try looking at uprights for a alternative, spicewines,mine,backwoods, ect.......

Back