WSM vs Drum

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
I have started cooking on my WSM drum style (no water pan). I was wondering if there is a big difference in the way a drum (like Hunsaker, OK Joe Drum, or Gateway) cooks and what you can accomplish using a WSM without a waterpan or if the two are pretty similar?

I find the domed lid of the WSM has an effect on heat distribution that the drum doesn't minic. Also the WSM with a Hunsaker rib rack keep proteins further away from the heat source when in a hanging configuration. However, cooking flat on a rack, in a direct configuration there little difference in cook times or flavor profiles. Meats like pork shoulders that drip a lot of fat directly on the fuel can produce a flavor that is objectional to some folks.

I've had both, started with an 18" WSM, upgraded to a 22", sold both and made a UDS. Not much difference really. I just get bored and like to tinker. If I had to do a pro / con list it would be:

WSM
Pro: built in side door, and the 3 sections make adding coals / water easier mid cook and for travel. Lots of accessories out there

Con: I was always hesitant to do too many non bolt on mods so I didn't damage the finish or crack the porcelin

UDS:
Pro: Tons of accessories out there. Most of the manufactured UDS companies sell parts for uds. Like I've got the Hunsaker charcoal basked and grate racks.

Fun to mess around with, don't feel too concerned about drilling / cutting into. I've got numerous holes and bolts that I've tried different grate racks, air controllers, temp probes, etc. If i don't like it, just stick a SS bolt in and cover up the hole.

I got one with a removable lid and was able to fit a cheap Kettle lid on for dome shape.

Cons:
You can do a cheap and basic UDS, but likely will end up spending as much if not more over the years as a WSM tweaking and adding accessories.

Getting a good barrel and cleaning / burning it out can be a pain. Actually building the thing (although can be a pro if you enjoy it).

Harder to transport since it doesn't come apart (although I'm looking into fixing that on mine. Also cleaning out bottom is a bit more difficult since you can't remove center section.

Overall they both cook about the same, have same and interchangeable accessories. Really depends if you want an off the shelf ready to go and leave it alone cooker or like to tinker. I'd scour FB Marketplace. The WSM occasionally come up for sale around me for a decent price.

Or do like I did. Start w/ a WSM and slowly build a UDS in the background and then decide which you prefer. I ended up selling my WSM because I could get more money for them. But if I came across a great deal I'd grab another up in a heartbeat.

I always thought that cleaning out the Weber was the only real benefit. I never explored the height difference between fire and food well enough to make a good opinion. I think the WSM 22 is way cheaper than a full sized drum, unless you build one yourself. Just my two cents

Thanks for the insight. Since I have started cooking (most of the time) on the WSM without a water pan I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was missing. I love that taste of the meat dripping directly onto the coals. No duplicating that taste profile.

I have a WSM 18 and a PBC. They both do exactly what they are advertised to do, but I almost always choose the PBC because it is much simpler to use and easier to clean after a cook.

Back