Charcoal offset vs kamado

gassah

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Rob
Is there a major taste difference in smoking a brisket in a kamado vs an offset like The Good One if both are using charcoal with wood chunks? Would TGO get closer to a wood-only cook? I'm considering building in a Komodo Kamado or TGO. TIA.

Rob

I don’t think that the Good One is an offset, I thought it was a charcoal cooker, an offset uses wood sticks only IMO. There is a definite taste difference when using sticks vs charcoal. While I have & love Kamado’s they don’t move the same volume of air as an offset so they taste different, some folks accuse them of tasting dirty since there is so little air movement through the cooker. But to answer your question, TGO will taste different than a Kamado generally speaking.

I don’t think that the Good One is an offset, I thought it was a charcoal cooker, an offset uses wood sticks only IMO. There is a definite taste difference when using sticks vs charcoal. While I have & love Kamado’s they don’t move the same volume of air as an offset so they taste different, some folks accuse them of tasting dirty since there is so little air movement through the cooker. But to answer your question, TGO will taste different than a Kamado generally speaking.

I have owned an akorn for over a decade at this point, family always enjoyed when i used my pellet grill for smoking vs the akorn. As you said, taste difference. Pellet or offset will give you a cleaner smoke flavor.

I believe The Good One would be "considered" an offset even through it runs on charcoal.

I've owned Big Green Egg and The Good One smoker. The smoke profile is similar between the two but the big difference is the air flow.

If you're looking to build into something the kamado is 100% the way to go. Especially if you sell the house down the road.

The Good One is a fun smoker but a big lump/charcoal hog compared to the kamado. The Kamado will also offer you many more options when it comes to specific cooks.

If you're looking for strictly low and slow cooks I'd go with The Good One. I wouldn't build it into anything if possible. My favorite quote for kamado grills is: "The jackknife of grills and the master of none." While it doesn't do one specific thing the best it can do many different cooks really well.

So it really depends on what you're looking for and what you already have. The smoke flavor will be similar but that's about it for similarities between the two.

Last edited:
Back