Honest Feedback, Charcoal cooker vs Offset

my cooks got significantly better when i went from the WSM to the OK Joe offset. far less bitterness and much smoother and more subtle smoke flavor. I attribute that to charcoal vs wood tho, not necessarily the cooker type, but I could be completely wrong there.

I'm also going to sell my WSM at this point. I haven't used it in 3-4yrs

I’ll miss my Humphrey’s but a new chapter is beginning, the hot girl from school is home now…..

NICE!!! my brother has a 36, one of these days I'm gonna stop by their shop and talk to Paul/Tyler about one for myself, my boys go to school there and I'm in town often enough to make a stop worthwhile. I'm sure my wife will be thrilled when I tell her I put a down payment on one. :becky::becky:

cooked on pellet, WSM, cabinet water cooker, even a kettle with smokenator accessory, and finally my offset. I could still be in the honeymoon period, but the food off my offset is superior to all of my other cookers. I even farked up some ribs on the offset...so the tenderness wasn't there, but the flavor was amazing.

That being said, it IS MORE WORK. Having time to dedicate yourself to the pit is a must; which can be hard with 3 kids running around too.

If I got the time and the ambition, offset all the way; otherwise I can get good food off any of my other cookers with similar results, but less effort.

PS; NICE SMOKER!

I have recently gotten (finally) an offset, and there is one thing that I have noticed that is much better off of it than any other smoker type that I have had. And I don't ever remember hearing or reading this anywhere before. My wife and I both agree that both the brisket and especially the ribs that we have cooked on the offset so far seem to taste much better after being reheated. Leftover meat, and again, especially pork, is much better when reheated. I don't know if it is the depth, richness, and sweetness of the smoke from the offset that makes it better as leftovers or what. The next time any of you compare, try it as reheated and see if you find the same thing.

Since I have had the offset for a month or so now, I am reading Franklin's book again. In it, he describes, not exactly in these words but the thing that sets an offset ahead of the rest is that the wood burns in a hot fire and does so throughout the entire cook. All of the rest use much less wood and in most cases the wood is more smoldering than burning in a very hot fire with near complete combustion making it much cleaner smoke. That clean smoke imparts more sweetness and depth because it is there for the duration of the cook. That allows it to penetrate more deeply into the meat. At least that is what I understood and retained of what he says. All in all, I am in the camp with those who think that the food coming off of an offset has the best smoke flavor, composition, and consistency than any of the rest. Maybe not the best food because I know there are a lot of folks out there who can cook rings around me, but the best smoke flavor.

Fishwater, I am glad to see that you have found your girl and that you are happy! I am happy for the girl I found too. I was at a different dance and found a different girl but the similarities are striking.

my cooks got significantly better when i went from the WSM to the OK Joe offset. far less bitterness and much smoother and more subtle smoke flavor. I attribute that to charcoal vs wood tho, not necessarily the cooker type, but I could be completely wrong there.

I'm also going to sell my WSM at this point. I haven't used it in 3-4yrs

My old 18 WSM that I bought in 2002, has mostly been retired. I'd never sell it, has too much sentimental value to me. But it still gets used for direct heat chicken. Take out the water pan, put a full chimney or more fully lit coals in and it does a great job.

There's some short cooks where firing up the offset is just more trouble than its worth.

Set up the same way, I occasionally do pork steak with the WSM. Slice up a pork butt and cook it direct heat on the WSM.

Back