THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wanted the Ken Onion, but I think I'll go with the Mk2. The extra 40 bucks for the KO simply buys options I won't use.

It's funny that Lowes lowered the price $30 to get it to the same price that it sells for elsewhere. And the sale ends tomorrow.

I bought the Ken Onion one at least 5 years ago and it's still sitting on my workbench in the box. Okay, that's not true, I think I opened the box and looked inside . . . :doh:

I've been very impressed with my Ken Onion. I've got both editions - the fixed blade and manual belt version where you have to hold the angle. Life's too short for wet stones.

A really slick accessory for your sharpening system are angle guides for your hone. Since I sharpen my own knives, I tend to use a slightly lower angle than recommended. When it comes to free-style honing, many people assume they can select a 14° or 16° or 18°, but in all reality they might be off by 5° or more. You simply rest your knife against the guide, then use a pull stroke. It only takes about 3 slow strokes on each side to restore your edge.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/...E1f5l_uoY9TAe33PJc2bZ92RP-E_zazsaAr7IEALw_wcB

I bought the Ken Onion one at least 5 years ago and it's still sitting on my workbench in the box. Okay, that's not true, I think I opened the box and looked inside . . . :doh:
Same here. I may try my luck if I get "wintered in"! :mrgreen:

Take some of your cra##y knives to practice the stroke, and most importantly when to release the trigger and stop the stroke so you still maintain the tip.

I think I need to invest more belts, so I can step up or down as needed.
I like a very, very sharp knife!

I have a KO with the attachment, I will never be without one.

Touched up a 3 blade stockman last night to shaving sharp in 5 minutes or maybe a little better.

Back