Work Sharp Ken Onion on sale for $86

I had mine shipped to my office and it came in today. Used it on something that might have been considered a knife in years past. It didn't magically turn it into a razor blade, but there was a noticeable difference. I've been irritated by some coworkers lately talking loudly on their speakerphones with their doors open, so it was nice to use a power tool at my desk as a little revenge.

Sounds like you didn't grind and hone long enough

I am 100% certain I have done a few things wrong on the first two knives I tried to sharpen. I have followed the instructions on the cardboard piece that came with mine. 20 degrees at medium speed for the number of passes it suggests. The second one I did was a cheap cook's knife. It did get pretty sharp, but the blade shape changed. I might have to pick up some knives from Goodwill to practice on so I don't mess up any knives that I actually plan on using.

I did the goodwill thing. I picked up 3 knives for $3.50. These are the ones I will practice on.

I got the info on the mounting holes. They are using different base plates now. See below.

The Work Sharp Ken Onion sharpener is capable of being bench mounted using 1/4" 20 screws. You will place the screws into the “C” shaped cut-outs, located on the power base, with the head of the screw overlapping onto the plastic. The photos below show those “C” shaped locations.

Attachments

• KO.jpg
    KO.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 117
I am 100% certain I have done a few things wrong on the first two knives I tried to sharpen. I have followed the instructions on the cardboard piece that came with mine. 20 degrees at medium speed for the number of passes it suggests. The second one I did was a cheap cook's knife. It did get pretty sharp, but the blade shape changed.

Critical thing missing from the above is getting to a burr on the edge of the knife. I did the same thing too when I got my KO..."sharpened" but didn't pay attention to getting a burr before moving on to the next stage of sharpening. Once I did that, there was a marked improvement in sharpness, because I was carrying the new profile all the way down to the tip. Read the manual closely, and watch the videos mentioned up above. You'll get some killer results! :thumb:

I was able to catch the tail end of a sale on Dalstrong knives on Amazon. Between that and this sharpener I hope my knife needs are met for a while. Couldn't find a single knife at the local Goodwill though.

Back