THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I had mine shipped to my office and it came in today. Used it on something that might have been considered a knife in years past. It didn't magically turn it into a razor blade, but there was a noticeable difference. I've been irritated by some coworkers lately talking loudly on their speakerphones with their doors open, so it was nice to use a power tool at my desk as a little revenge.

Sounds like you didn't grind and hone long enough

I am 100% certain I have done a few things wrong on the first two knives I tried to sharpen. I have followed the instructions on the cardboard piece that came with mine. 20 degrees at medium speed for the number of passes it suggests. The second one I did was a cheap cook's knife. It did get pretty sharp, but the blade shape changed. I might have to pick up some knives from Goodwill to practice on so I don't mess up any knives that I actually plan on using.

I did the goodwill thing. I picked up 3 knives for $3.50. These are the ones I will practice on.

I got the info on the mounting holes. They are using different base plates now. See below.

The Work Sharp Ken Onion sharpener is capable of being bench mounted using 1/4" 20 screws. You will place the screws into the “C” shaped cut-outs, located on the power base, with the head of the screw overlapping onto the plastic. The photos below show those “C” shaped locations.

Attachments

• KO.jpg
    KO.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 117
I am 100% certain I have done a few things wrong on the first two knives I tried to sharpen. I have followed the instructions on the cardboard piece that came with mine. 20 degrees at medium speed for the number of passes it suggests. The second one I did was a cheap cook's knife. It did get pretty sharp, but the blade shape changed.

Critical thing missing from the above is getting to a burr on the edge of the knife. I did the same thing too when I got my KO..."sharpened" but didn't pay attention to getting a burr before moving on to the next stage of sharpening. Once I did that, there was a marked improvement in sharpness, because I was carrying the new profile all the way down to the tip. Read the manual closely, and watch the videos mentioned up above. You'll get some killer results! :thumb:

I was able to catch the tail end of a sale on Dalstrong knives on Amazon. Between that and this sharpener I hope my knife needs are met for a while. Couldn't find a single knife at the local Goodwill though.

Back