THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gambel oak simply because it's what's commonly available here. I'm on the prowl for any fruitwood locally but, other than some prunings, haven't had any luck sourcing a significant amount. I also wish hickory was available here.

Various Oaks with Post Oak taking the lead, some Hickory, and a bit of Pecan every now and then.

I'm trying to find a very mild, neutral wood to play with as I'd like to get a more subtle "wood fired oven" flavor going on. Combine it with some lump to use the pit as an alternative oven. Nice to not heat the house in the Summer too.

Mine is probably Apple, though lately I've liked pecan. To be fair I haven't used many woods. Cherry is the only other I've used. I'd like to try hickory and maybe a few more fruit woods. Oh and mesquite on beef too.

Mesquite because that's what we have in west Texas. I can get a little pecan and I like it, from time to time a little oak. Really would like some hickory and fruit wood but it's just not available.

I've smoldered all kinds of wood on charcoal in my Weber kettles, wsm's, and my old UDS's. Probably sassafrass the most the last couple of years because I like the smell and it came off of my parent's land. Works great with chicken. Last week I used a couple small mesquite chunks to reverse sear some thick freshly ground chuck burgers. That was a nice change-up. As for my little offset, it's not just what I like but what it likes to burn (cleanly)! And that's VERY well seasoned hickory and oak.

I have only used Mango wood since that's the only one I have access to. I would love to try cherry and apple. I am planing to cut some mulberry for next year.

I picked up ~1/4 cord of pecan Saturday and picked up ~1/4 cord of black cherry a couple of weeks ago. I have a cord of mixed oak and a half a cord of hickory coming for the stick burner. I also have good amounts of walnut, apple, post oak and sweet cherry for the wsm. I love cherry and pecan the best. Tried walnut on steaks last night, good but pretty strong IMO

I cook lots of pork, and like a combination of apple, cherry and peach. I would love to try pecan.

Hickory and apple combo for me. Tried Peach a couple of times and didn't like the smell. Flavor was ok though.

I'm very interested to try maple wood though

Oak is my go to wood here is SE Texas. Plentiful, burns clean, hot and produces mild smoke flavor without overpowering the meat.

This year it's cherry and pear....cuz those are the trees I trimmed in the fall :-D

Did a lot of pecan last year and apple.

I think my favs are cherry and pecan at this point. The pear is new wood and I havent put it to the test just yet.

Back