THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I typically use Cherry, Apple, and Sugar Maple. I've got a few cord of red and white oak from storms that is now stacked in my back yard, so I've been using that a lot recently.

I am fortunate that in my area there are lots of different woods to choose from. I use oak, pecan, cherry, hickory, fruitwoods. I used persimmon once-it has a unique flavor. I have a large fig tree that is coming down soon, will use that also.

Jack

I can and do access and use most of the above mentioned Anerican woods. I would like to try Kiawe.

Primarily beech, with some birch mixed in. Adds a subtle flavor. Only thing is it burns a little quicker, so it's hard to keep a decent coal bed sometimes.

Oak - Red for beef, white for other
Pecan - when I want to mix things up
Also have in chunks: grape for lamb, cherry, hickory, mesquite, apple, mesquite, and alder

What do I want to try? Guava and Kiawe

What is my go to? Oak for wood log fire, hickory for chunks.

I use whatever i can scrounge up, I heat the house with wood and I know a tree guy who drops me logs, so I usually get a mixture of oak, beech, maple, hickory, cherry and mulberry from him, I'll use all that and I can usually get Apple, pear and peach from a nearby orchard. I use what's free and local.

I've been using hickory for most everything sometimes I add in some apple. Have some wild cherry I'm going to use if I get an offset. Would like to try pecan or alder.

Last edited:
I use whatever i can scrounge up, I heat the house with wood and I know a tree guy who drops me logs, so I usually get a mixture of oak, beech, maple, hickory, cherry and mulberry from him, I'll use all that and I can usually get Apple, pear and peach from a nearby orchard. I use what's free and local.

Just had 9 cord of red oak tree length logs dropped off. You get 3 guesses of what I use and 2 don't count.

mainly hickory, mesquite, oak,apple, pecan once in awhile grape, some cherry, beech; kinda all over what ever i get my hands on:becky:

Back