THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,
Ok, I've been really enjoying my new chamber vac sealer. I have various bags, various sizes.....I'm wanting to actually label stuff this time around so I don't dump stuff in the big chest freezer and someday have archeologists have to be called to identify what anything actually is....

I thought that using a Sharpie pen would do...those things historically for me, marked anything.

I find the on the vac bags...it's hit or miss. They often will start to work and then as you keep writing....it stops writing.

Is there a better marker pen you use that will write on all these plastic bags?

Or, so you have to get paper stick's labels and write on them and stick them to the bags?

How do you label stuff you package to store away in the freezer?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

I mostly use a sharpie. Sometimes a sharpie on a postit and the postit inside the bag. Masking tape, didn't think of that, good call.

Sharpie for us too on the bags.

My wife does buy rolls of disolvable labels from Amazon to use on container lids. Example
YEah...I've been trying just a sharpie directly on the bag....it'll start to write...then fades and quits marking legibly on the bag...
:(

Are there various types/models of Sharpie? I just grabbed a package of 2x of them from the local grocery store a couple of weeks ago....

C

Mark the bags before you put anything in them, condensation from the cold food will mess with the ink. If you write on bags let dry, then pack and vac you should have less trouble.

YEah...I've been trying just a sharpie directly on the bag....it'll start to write...then fades and quits marking legibly on the bag...
:(

Are there various types/models of Sharpie? I just grabbed a package of 2x of them from the local grocery store a couple of weeks ago....

C
Not that I know of and if you just bought new ones, it must be the bags, or they(or the sharpie) get wet?

I use masking tape (might be the same as painter's tape?).
Go around the bag till it attaches on itself and write with pen or permanent marker.
I do the same for glass or plastic jars

I use a sharpie and it works great as long as I write on the bag before I put anything in it. If I fill and seal the bag then try writing it starts out good then fades out.

I use painters tape and a thick (1/8 ") felt marker, I use to just write on the bags' label but being as frugal as I am, I tend to wash up the bag and reuse. Then you have to mark out and find a area on the label to use.
Ed

Is it just me, or does it seem crazy to get these kind of threads from a 2004 join date? I feel like this person just woke up from a two decade coma. I mean, you don't know how to label a bag?

someday have archeologists have to be called to identify what anything actually is....
As others have mentioned, it is the moisture from condensation that causes the writing problem. If I have already sealed I try and write on the edge of the bag that isn't cold/damp.

Beyond labeling, some kind of inventory and organization also helps. I think we all lose track of what's in there, especially as it gets full.

Hi Cayenne,

Glad to hear you’re enjoying your new chamber vac sealer! Labeling can definitely save you from future freezer archaeology.

I’ve had similar issues with Sharpie pens on vacuum bags. What works best for me are industrial-grade permanent markers like the Sharpie Extreme or the Pilot Extra Fine Point Paint Marker. They tend to write more reliably on plastic surfaces and hold up better in the freezer.

Alternatively, using freezer-safe labels can also be a great solution. You can write on them with any regular pen or marker and then stick them onto the bags. They tend to stay on well and are easy to read even after being in the freezer for a while.

I hope this helps! Happy labeling!

Back