THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
So I recently got time to cook again. Typically I always use cherry wood but I recently bought a bag of hickory as I was bored and wanted something new to try so I got hickory and I like hickory. I now have an interest in finding orange wood for pork.

So what is your go to wood and what do you want to try?

The woods I have on hand and at all times are hickory or pecan, oak or beech, apple, cherry, and alder. Bear in mind, I have charcoal burners, so I'm only stocking chunks and chips.

I've always wanted to try pimento wood for jerk chicken.

I'd like to try pimento, too. There used to be a guy on Facebook who was in Jamaica and was selling it but I haven't seen him for a while.

I use red oak in my stick burner sometimes beech or maple. in the cabinet and egg I use cherry and or apple most of the time. I use alder for fish. I have a ton of wood up here I always feel bad for guys that live in the city but I have never tried hickory or mesquite but the wood I would like the try the most is pecan.

I like apple or cherry for pork and poultry and hickory, pecan, mesquite, or oak for beef. I'm usually using only a couple fist sized chunks per cook in my WSMs.

I'm a big fan of hickory, cherry, and apple. Looks like we're about to try some mulberry today, and I'm quite interested in how it'll turn out.

Mesquite simply the best...I own a 200 acre spread with more mesquite that i could ever use. Also oak as i have plenty of oak at the ranch.

Still finishing plans for a rf offset. I am curious if birch will work. It is the only hard wood up here. I do have a ton of alder but only like that on fish and poultry. Might have to grow some in the uds and try it. I have been using apple and hickory for most stuff in the bradley.

All depends on what im cooking... For the most part i tend to use the following woods for each:

Brisket: hickory with a touch of misquiet in the beginning.
Pork: Apple with a little hickory
Chicken: Cherry With Hickory 2:1
Ribs: Apple
Ham: Maple
then all the other things that get cooked/smoked get variations of the woods i have on hand (listed above) depending on what im trying to accomplish

I do really want to try some grape on a pastrami.

Back