THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EDIT: Btw, is it fairly easy to maintain 200F on this smoker, using sticks? I suppose I could use lump and wood chunks if easier. I smoke my bacon and sausages at 200F.

For that range of temp, you might want to use lump and small chunks of wood for seasonings. Just experiment with it and you will figure out what it will take to get the cooking temps where you want it. You will find that if you start out with a small fire and build upon that, you will get it smoking along right where you want it. Unless you over feed it, you will see that it smokes along at a fairly constant temp and is easy to maintain with a little practice. Of course all the fun is learning what it takes to do what you need it to do. Enjoy it! (Turning the jealously mode off now) :icon_smile_tongue:

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

What are the best dimensions for a split to maintain a 250-275F fire on the bandera? I'll be cooking most 250-275F. Most of my splits are around 18 inches long, and kind of thick.

Well here are the splits:

986cyq.jpg

What are the best dimensions for a split to maintain a 250-275F fire on the bandera? I'll be cooking most 250-275F. Most of my splits are around 18 inches long, and kind of thick.

Well here are the splits:

986cyq.jpg

Not to hijack, but I'd be interested in knowing how many hours @ 250-275 or so you'll be able to get out of that stack (Presuming wood only fires, no charcoal or lump)

Count the splits - 2 to get going and one every 45 minutes......

... I've seen some bandera fires with tiny splits.. like 1/4 the size of my splits.. that's why I ask.

Friedturkeyspam said he maintained cooker temp of 250-275 with this small of a fire:

088_zps773d9a92.jpg

Once you get it going, as Smitty say's add a stick when needed to maintain temps. If your sticks are too large, and I don't think they are, you can split/adjust to work.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

That's getting the lump burnt up for my startup bed of coals.........and yes I use lighter fluid.........:shock:

I use my 500,000 btu $19.95 Harbor Freight special flame thrower. (Is there something wrong with mine because when I pull the lever it shoots out about 3 feet of solid blue flame, LOL! There is like NO regulator on it..)

dang it lol..

well they seem to be pretty common and the bandera should be easier to control. plus this bandera is already all modded with firebrick, baffle, new feet and awesome heavy duty fire grate. I can't believe he can maintain 250-275F with such a little split. .that ought to save me some money on fuel! at $30 a rick and that small of splits.. seems like it would cost less than lump charcoal or briquettes even.

dang it lol..

well they seem to be pretty common and the bandera should be easier to control. plus this bandera is already all modded with firebrick, baffle, new feet and awesome heavy duty fire grate. I can't believe he can maintain 250-275F with such a little split. .that ought to save me some money on fuel! at $30 a rick and that small of splits.. seems like it would cost less than lump charcoal or briquettes even.

I was picturing you with the Bandera for the $150 AND the NBBD for $75. :thumb::thumb:

Heh, with the left hand firebox on the NBBD, you could have the boxes side by side for easy stoking :)

Whoops, my bad. Didn't even notice the door or the dog. Also, I don't consider the NBBD to be a COS, so I thought you were talking about a different listing :laugh:
I just saw 80% rust, a dirty yard and the funny dog door the owner made in 30 seconds. What's the politically correct term for categorizing? Like the police are always accused of? I feel like I might have just done that to what used to be a decent smoker, that just got in with the wrong crowd :)

Seems like the bandera is more useful. Especially for hot smoking sausages hanging from smoke sticks.. I can see it now :) Definitely a photo I am gonna take and share here.

Back