THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hrm after I get the Bandera, between it, my 2 wsm, mini wsm, hasty bake, davy crockett pellet smoker, kettle, 60k propane burner (for stir fry), and the 55 gallon UDS I want (but really no longer need), I should be able to throw a pretty big party! I've seriously got issues, as I've only started BBQ'ing 9 months ago on a Mini WSM.

Didn't you mention about charcuterie and smoke sticks in the bandera?

Would be so easy to make. Once I get it, that's gonna be the first thing I weld with my new harbor freight wire welder :p Hrm, I could get some meat hooks from Pit Barrel and use the rebar smoke stick grate for that as well! :)

Ya I wanna weld some rods across top to hang meat from but I don't have a welder so I'd have to load it up and take it to my buddys. Mine has been reworked a cpl times.....Firebox is welded on, only have 3 grates and 4 positions, intake is different, I cut the firebox top off and threw it in scrap cuz it was full of pinholes and just used 3/8" plate flat for flat top. Its a POS but I call it Custom......:biggrin1:

Ya I wanna weld some rods across top to hang meat from but I don't have a welder so I'd have to load it up and take it to my buddys.

Or just bring him a length or two of rebar. Cut it into 6 pieces and weld. Start with a frame then 2 rails across (sticks)?

Or just bring him a length or two of rebar. cut it into 6 or 7 pieces and weld. Start with a frame then 2 or 3 rails across (sticks)?

Mine doesn't have any angle or grate supports up high anymore.......I'll load it up one of these days and just weld in rebar and maybe add some angle iron grate supports.......:twitch:

If you don't have any - go buy some Long Welding Gloves or the Long Black Suede BBQ gloves at Academy for loading splits into firebox...........the hair is mostly grown back on my right hand.......

If you don't have any - go buy some Long Welding Gloves or the Long Black Suede BBQ gloves at Academy for loading splits into firebox...........the hair is mostly grown back on my right hand.......

Well fortunately, as a female, I don't have any hair on my hands/arms :smile: I have some long welding gloves, back when I bought the helmet and wire welder from harbor freight.

Btw, I like the hood on your firebox.. that ought to last... forever? :smile: I'll probably end up doing the same soon.

EDIT: I bet a bandera would last forever if you replaced the entire firebox with 1/4" thick steel and weld it to the cooking chamber?

Hrm after I get the Bandera, between it, my 2 wsm, mini wsm, hasty bake, davy crockett pellet smoker, kettle, 60k propane burner (for stir fry), and the 55 gallon UDS I want (but really no longer need), I should be able to throw a pretty big party! I've seriously got issues, as I've only started BBQ'ing 9 months ago on a Mini WSM.

You are perfectly well adapted as far as I see it, but I have issues so what do I know. :thumb:

... I've seen some bandera fires with tiny splits.. like 1/4 the size of my splits.. that's why I ask.

Friedturkeyspam said he maintained cooker temp of 250-275 with this small of a fire:

088_zps773d9a92.jpg

This is the maintenance temperature fire. Below that grate is about a shovel full of coals from the wood before. I build a fairly big starting fire with wood and lump to get the thing heated up and a good bed of coals. Then I can add one or two small splits every 15 to 20 minutes to replace what is consumed.
Mike

Geekess you will just have to experiment........
You could have 4 different Fellars come cook with you on that thing and get 4 different styles/opinions on how to run it/ maintain fire/temps......

TurkeySpam said he adds a small split every 15-20 minutes and so his temps probally hold real steady - I don't wanna do that much work (splitting/cutting wood and 20 minute adds) so I toss on a bigger split every 45 minutes and cook in a Temp range of +/- 25-30* - so if I target 275* The Beave is bouncing between 240/250--300*......... Different Strokes for Different Folks.........Wait... You probally weren't even Born Yet when that saying was Popular.......:shock:

Geekess you will just have to experiment........
You could have 4 different Fellars come cook with you on that thing and get 4 different styles/opinions on how to run it/ maintain fire/temps......

TurkeySpam said he adds a small split every 15-20 minutes and so his temps probally hold real steady - I don't wanna do that much work (splitting/cutting wood and 20 minute adds) so I toss on a bigger split every 45 minutes and cook in a Temp range of +/- 25-30* - so if I target 275* The Beave is bouncing between 240/250--300*......... Different Strokes for Different Folks.........Wait... You probally weren't even Born Yet when that saying was Popular.......:shock:

That sounds like a reasonable temperature range (245-300F). I counted 120 splits per this 1/6th of a cord. I got for $30 + $10 in gas.. so $40. So the cost per split is 33 cents. That's 44 cents an hour for a hot & fast cook, adding a split every 45 minutes like you say. Pretty darn affordable and you can cook a ton with it.

all depends on wind, temp, load of meat, moisture in wood, etc etc etc

and what if the guy sells all this wood and you have to find another source (happens to me all the time)

dont overthink it and try to calculate it out to the penny. You will drive yourself nuts.

Just use it, enjoy it

And post plenty of pics - infact have a BBQ Bash and invite all your Attractive Girlfriends and post plenty of pics. :heh:

I love my Bandera

I've had it forever, and still turn out some great barbecue on it. Buying the Bandera was what lead me to the Yahoo Bandera group, which, after Phil's snot storm, brought us to this wonderful place! I may be about the least active of these original farkers, but I love these guys.

Seriously, it leaks air a little, is a bit of a fuel hog, and requires more babysitting than many, but I'll never get rid of it. I love the capacity, and when I want to do cooks for a larger group (or lots of leftovers :-D ) it comes in handy. I'm often of the mindset that "if I'm going to cook all day, I'm going to COOK, dammit!"

You asked about being able to fit larger briskets, and while I don't know what the largest is that I've cooked, I know there's been some pretty good-sized ones.

You also mentioned hooks for sausages. The Bandera came with hooks that fit into holes in the shelf supports. I don't ever use mine, but you can see a couple in place here in the top of my Dad's Bandera (one sticking out on the left, one swung against the side on the right). No, I don't think he was hanging oysters from them :crazy:
If you can't buy them somewhere, I'd think you can easily replicate them.

Mine has a fire basket Ă  la Big Al, which I find helps with fire control, and if I am only using the one side of it, it's a great place for preheating my splits. I will admit, though, that it has never really worked for me as far as getting the long burns that others claim with it. I wonder if it is because too much air leaks into the firebox? No worries, I still like it.

Good luck with your new Bandera, I hope you love it.

And post plenty of pics - infact have a BBQ Bash and invite all your Attractive Girlfriends and post plenty of pics. :heh:

I'm still waiting for this pic...
Long Black Suede BBQ gloves at Academy

Just poking a little fun at you ma'am. But in all honesty.... a woman in a welding hood is definitely hot! pun intended. :boxing: :oops:

I'm still waiting for this pic...
Long Black Suede BBQ gloves at Academy

Just poking a little fun at you ma'am. But in all honesty.... a woman in a welding hood is definitely hot! pun intended. :boxing: :oops:

Lol, I'm not that attractive.. that's hilarious though!

Back