THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Are you happy with the quality of the food that comes out of it? Is it easy to control the temperature--even on windy days?

Reason I ask is I am about to get a really good deal on a modified one from a local brethren. It's in great shape, modified with baffle, fire bricks, heavy duty fire grate and heavy duty wheels.

He's giving me a great deal on it--$150.

It seems like it would be a good affordable way for me to get introduced into stick burning?

What do you think?

He has a friend that can custom make me an awesomely designed 24" diameter, 1/4" thick horizontal offset for $500. Should I go for this instead or just start with the Bandera. (I know I could always get my money back out of the Bandera.)

Are you happy with the quality of the food that comes out of it? Is it easy to control the temperature--even on windy days?

Reason I ask is I am about to get a really good deal on a modified one from a local brethren. It's in great shape, modified with baffle, fire bricks, heavy duty fire grate and heavy duty wheels.

It seems like it would be a good affordable way for me to get introduced into stick burning?

What do you think?

He has a friend that can custom make me an awesomely designed 24" diameter, 1/4" thick horizontal offset for $500. Should I go for this instead or just start with the Bandera. (I know I could always get my money back out of the Bandera.)

I'd start with the Bandera as it's a good smoker and low cost of entry for you to get started on. Down the road, if you decide that you like stick burning, you could always sell the Bandera and go for the custom built one.

Given that your local Brethren is giving you a good deal, I'd run the plan by him to make sure it sits well with him. Reason for this is that it really ticks me off when I give a friend a "friendly discount" on something, then they turn around and sell it and make the profit that I could have made.

I'd start with the Bandera as it's a good smoker and low cost of entry for you to get started on. Down the road, if you decide that you like stick burning, you could always sell the Bandera and go for the custom built one.

Given that your local Brethren is giving you a good deal, I'd run the plan by him to make sure it sits well with him. Reason for this is that it really ticks me off when I give a friend a "friendly discount" on something, then they turn around and sell it and make the profit that I could have made.

Thank you.

I am looking for an offset smoker I'd want to use and fall in love with, not to sell nor make money off of. I talked to him on the phone about the smoker and he said I could sell it later if I didn't like it. If I didn't like it--which I want to determine before I get it hence why I am asking about it here in this thread--I'd try to sell it to another brethren for $150 as well.

But I am thinking I'll *love* it and won't want to get rid of it; I look forward to more positive comments about this smoker to reinforce my purchasing decision, thanks.

I am on my 3rd bandera. first one got used so much i had to replace the firebox and gave that one to a member. Missed it so much that i aquired another one which I wore out.. Im on my 3rd which I traded for 2 weber smokey mountains.

its a great entry level cooker. You wont be disappointed. Download the bandera 101 document to see some of the mods you can make.

P.S. Did you know that this group was once known as Bandera-brethren??. Thats the cooker that is the cornerstone of this org.

If you go to this website, you will find the experts. WWW.Bandera-Brethren.com

Here are the photos of the smoker.

5apb3k.png

2lxqg8.png

2iseayu.png

150 for that is a great deal. Its difficult to see in the pic, but it looks like you will need a baffle.

Thanks so much :smile:

P.S. Did you know that this group was once known as Bandera-brethren??. Thats the cooker that is the cornerstone of this org.

If you go to this website, you will find the experts. WWW.Bandera-Brethren.com

I heard that BBQ Brethren started out as Bandera Brethren, a couple weeks back. I didn't know the old URL, cool.

I've checked out your 101 document, about a week or two ago, and enjoyed it. Lots to it!

Yeah I know I am asking the right place for Bandera purchasing advice :smile:.

150 for that is a great deal. Its difficult to see in the pic, but it looks like you will need a baffle.

He told me on the phone that he added a baffle :smile:.

I'm thinking I should make this my first offset.. I've never burnt a stick before except in a fireplace and my 22.5" weber kettle the other night :)

It's affordable, lots of space, easy to control I hear, from a brethren and is cool because of it's ties to BBQ Brethren.

EDIT: I'd give it a pretty paint job/touch up. And either refinish or replace the front wood with some pretty wood.

I'd part with my NB Hondo horizontal smoker WAY before letting the Bandera go.
The one you're thinking of looks to be in good condition.
BTW... some parts for it are still available from Char-Broil in Columbus, GA. if needed. I had to order a new air intake damper for mine.
I say go for it!

Last edited:

What do you think?

The NB Bandera is the inspiration behind the design of my pit which is a vertical offset as well (see my avatar)! With the right mods already done for you, you'll have yourself a good smoker!:thumb:

The bottom is covered in firebrick, I put a few up top with the HD firegrate, it doesn't take a very big of fire to get 250-275 in the cooking chamber on a normal day.

088_zps773d9a92.jpg

How large of a packer can you fit on a Bandera shelf diagonally without having to use a can to bend it until it shrinks?

The bottom is covered in firebrick, I put a few up top with the HD firegrate, it doesn't take a very big of fire to get 250-275 in the cooking chamber on a normal day.

088_zps773d9a92.jpg
Yeah, just the design of a vertical offset as apposed to a traditional horizontal one in and of itself just makes more sense. With the vertical design, heat and smoke don't have to travel the length of a long piece of pipe sideways before coming in contact with the meat and then exiting the cooker. A vertical is easier to heat up and drafts better while delivering heat and smoke almost directly from the fire to the meat being cooked, making it a much more efficient and economical cooker than a horizontal.
NB really had their chit together when they put the Bandera out! If they had put a heat deflector in them at the factory, they would have been near perfect out of the box!:wink:

Back