THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
A few weeks ago there was a Wok Throwdown. Someone (I don't recall who) brought up discadas again. I have seen them before and coveted them as a new cooking apparatus. However, there are a few things that held me back. First, I have several propane burners; including an awesome one from Tejas Smokers that came with a wok ring:

picture.php

Well discadas run 22-24". My burner is 14". :cry:

I had e-mailed a few discada makers to see if I could get an 18" one. All replied "no", so I started looking at woks...

I have not had good luck with woks or stir-frying. I threw away the cheap thin one that I got at a Chinese grocery. However, thanks to the power of Google, I found the Wok Shop in San Francisco. They sell a cast iron wok that is shallow and only 17". This looked like what I wanted. As a bonus, they only asked $19 for it (Compared to $60-$90 for discadas). I decided to give it a shot.

It arrived yesterday and I couldn't be happier with my purchase:

picture.php

It is the thinnest cast iron I have ever seen. Maybe 1/8" thick. I cleaned it and started seasoning it.

picture.php

A little flaxseed oils should do the trick.

picture.php

Per the Wok Shop's instructions, I sweetened the wok with onions.

Overall, I love how it cooks. I will most likely use it for Mexican-South Western cooking. I am not that versed in Asian cuisine, but who knows?

Nice set up. I like it. At $19 and in/from San Francisco that is a win. :thumb:

Looks good. I've been looking for a wok to use on my kettle, may have to give this one a try.

Interesting - I couldn't find any 18" discadas when I was searching. I'll bookmark this and stick with the cast iron for now.

Thanks for sharing.

David

Looks good. I've been looking for a wok to use on my kettle, may have to give this one a try.

If you're going to get one for a grill that you plan on using on a grate, make sure it has a flat bottom.

Most discadas orwoks have round bottoms because they sit in a round ring over a direct flame. That won't work well on a flat cooking grate.

I have a cast iron grill wok (I think it's a Weber) that has a nice flat bottom so I can use it on both the stovetop and grill. I love that thing.

I made one for a friend for his Weber kettle. Doesn't make a difference if the discada bottom is flat or rounded as I extended the handles to bridge the rim of the kettle, sits stable while woking.

pQCba7.jpg

The Wok Shop has some really nice things. I bought some of their equipment at Landarc's suggestion some years ago and am very happy with it. I've had my eye on the same wok for the same reason. I wanted a discada, but the size and the price was too big for me. The one you picked is the perfect size. Almost all of my woking now is done on a cast iron wok Harvard picked up at a tag sale for $3. As you can see, the bottom is flat and with the smaller handles it fits perfectly in my Keg. :thumb:
flatbottomwok.jpg

Back