THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just when I thought you had your game on top, you upped your game. These videos are Great!

It's the one line comments you make about heat flow, foiled cookie sheet etc. that help alot of rookies like me.

If you guys ever get over Shreveport way know that you have an open invite here.

Thanks for taking the time to make all of your videos.

Thank you for taking the time to watch them, Toast.

If you guys think my wife and I sound funny, you would be shocked at how some of my friends from West Texas and Arkansas sound. That's not a knock against them at all (to me they sound like home), but there is a difference. Maybe not as much as Australia or WI though. lol.

Justin

Enjoyed the vid!

Now about accents. I'm in GA, grew up northeast of Atlanta, now in middle GA. My wife is from South GA, her accent is totally different than mine. When she comes to North GA and talks everyone asks her where she's from haha.

Anyhow, last month we spent two weeks in England on vacation, and we had an awesome time but we were ready go home by the end of the trip. When we got back we were standing on the airplane waiting to get off and a man came on over the radio and said something along the lines of "Hey everybody, this is Mike from the Ground Crew here at Hartsfield and we just wanted to welcome you to Atlanta....." then he went on about instructions on baggage claim and whatnot. Anyhow, halfway through that first sentence my wife and I both looked at each other and smiled, and then started laughing. That sweet Georgia twang - we were HOME! Hadn't heard that accent in two weeks.

Accents are a funny thing. But 'sounds like home' - I totally get that!

Enjoyed the vid!

Now about accents. I'm in GA, grew up northeast of Atlanta, now in middle GA. My wife is from South GA, her accent is totally different than mine. When she comes to North GA and talks everyone asks her where she's from haha.

Anyhow, last month we spent two weeks in England on vacation, and we had an awesome time but we were ready go home by the end of the trip. When we got back we were standing on the airplane waiting to get off and a man came on over the radio and said something along the lines of "Hey everybody, this is Mike from the Ground Crew here at Hartsfield and we just wanted to welcome you to Atlanta....." then he went on about instructions on baggage claim and whatnot. Anyhow, halfway through that first sentence my wife and I both looked at each other and smiled, and then started laughing. That sweet Georgia twang - we were HOME! Hadn't heard that accent in two weeks.

Accents are a funny thing. But 'sounds like home' - I totally get that!

It's totally true. I'm from Arkansas but I grew up in Little Rock. You get a mix. Most of the folks I know sound like me but some sound like they are straight out of a Hollywood movie where the California actor is trying to fake a southern accent...while bringing down the IQ of the southerner by about 50 points. lol.

I spent some time in Georgia recently and discovered a few things. You know you are in GA, when the word "Water" rhymes with "butter" and the word "Oil" is one syllable and rhymes with "cull."

Also random but I kinda freaked out when I discovered the cast from the Walking Dead was mostly from England.

It's totally true. I'm from Arkansas but I grew up in Little Rock. You get a mix. Most of the folks I know sound like me but some sound like they are straight out of a Hollywood movie where the California actor is trying to fake a southern accent...while bringing down the IQ of the southerner by about 50 points. lol.

I spent some time in Georgia recently and discovered a few things. You know you are in GA, when the word "Water" rhymes with "butter" and the word "Oil" is one syllable and rhymes with "cull."

Also random but I kinda freaked out when I discovered the cast from the Walking Dead was mostly from England.

Hey now!! I'm in GA and don't sound like that!! LOL

Really!!

Hey now!! I'm in GA and don't sound like that!! LOL

Really!!

In fairness, that was an observation at Myron Mixon's cooking school. After 2 days of listening to him, you start to notice things. Perhaps Myron is not a fair characterization of the state of GA. My apologies.

lol.

In fairness, that was an observation at Myron Mixon's cooking school. After 2 days of listening to him, you start to notice things. Perhaps Myron is not a fair characterization of the state of GA. My apologies.

lol.

Myron is definitely more "Redneckish" talking than a LOT of Georgians. But then again, a LOT of them sound like him too. lol

Not me... I can certainly "get in character" depending on who I'm around for sure. You should hear me talking to other "hood rats" LOL

great video! if you haven't already, you need to figure out a way to get paid for these. i think what you are doing is worth it. i have never cooked anything above prime so i noticed that the briskets were darker in color than what i am used to seeing. is that normal for wagyu or was the camera showing the meat darker inside that what it was in person?

now on the subject of smoke ring. i know it doesn't really matter and i never really cared too much about it either until i ran into a situation that kind of surprised me. i took a couple of briskets to UT for my daughter's UT Honeys tailgate thing. seemed like all anyone wanted to talk about was the smoke ring, how huge it was, the color, how beautiful it was, etc. i mean not just 2-3 people. dozens stood there while i sliced it like perverts at the nudie-bar. every time we went back it was the same. you would think that people in Austin would have seen a smoke ring before, right? so my point is that people like or expect to see a smoke ring. for some reason in their mind it validates the cook as successful or something??? just my observation, not my opinion so don't beat me up too badly. :heh:

Well you know what they say, "Perception is most peoples reality"!

It's important if they think it should be.

Not everyone will know the truth about the ring and how it has nothing to do with smoke or taste.. So they believe what they want to believe.

great video! if you haven't already, you need to figure out a way to get paid for these. i think what you are doing is worth it. i have never cooked anything above prime so i noticed that the briskets were darker in color than what i am used to seeing. is that normal for wagyu or was the camera showing the meat darker inside that what it was in person?

now on the subject of smoke ring. i know it doesn't really matter and i never really cared too much about it either until i ran into a situation that kind of surprised me. i took a couple of briskets to UT for my daughter's UT Honeys tailgate thing. seemed like all anyone wanted to talk about was the smoke ring, how huge it was, the color, how beautiful it was, etc. i mean not just 2-3 people. dozens stood there while i sliced it like perverts at the nudie-bar. every time we went back it was the same. you would think that people in Austin would have seen a smoke ring before, right? so my point is that people like or expect to see a smoke ring. for some reason in their mind it validates the cook as successful or something??? just my observation, not my opinion so don't beat me up too badly. :heh:

Paul and David,
First off, thanks for the kind words.

I agree about people believing the smoke ring being important making it important. In this case, I was lucky because nobody cared but generally speaking, I want to make it happen in the future when I can.

As far as the meat looking dark. After I said the thing about the camera not picking up the smoke ring on the weber I adjusted the exposure a little and that was pretty much exactly what it looked like in real life. I agree that it looked different. I am realizing right as I type this that I think that actually compounded my reaction because It just didn't look right to me and I attributed it to the smoke ring...was probably the Wagyu color too.

I've only had Wagyu twice. (The other was the Myron thing.) Both were really good. Neither just blew me away though. The both looked different than I was used to.

Are you going to share the love or are us douche canoes left in the dark again?

Looks like I'll (or Adam, aka Offshore) will be sharing the info soon. Spoke with the owner of the farm today and he want's me to take pics and / or make a vid of my Wagyu cooks to post here. I think he want's to start selling into the BBQ community. I'll know more by this wknd.

Back