THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good to know! Does it change the flavor any? Should I adjust the salt situation in the rub or anything to compensate?

I know this because I had a Cookshack Amerique for seven years, and it put out some great food but zero smoke ring. The heat on a Cookshack is electric, and the smoke flavor comes from smoldering wood chunks. To get a smoke ring wood needs to actually be burning rather than smoldering, and the more air flow the better the smoke ring. Kamado smokers are so efficient on their fuel consumption that you may have trouble getting a big smoke ring.

When using the Tenderquick trick I do back off on the amount of salt in my rub, but not by much because I like a salty exterior.

Try one and see what you think!

I think most of us love a good smoke ring, but let's be honest, it has zero effect on how the meat tastes. Competition judges are instructed to NOT take the smoke-ring into account when evaluating entries.

I know this because I had a Cookshack Amerique for seven years, and it put out some great food but zero smoke ring. The heat on a Cookshack is electric, and the smoke flavor comes from smoldering wood chunks. To get a smoke ring wood needs to actually be burning rather than smoldering, and the more air flow the better the smoke ring. Kamado smokers are so efficient on their fuel consumption that you may have trouble getting a big smoke ring.

When using the Tenderquick trick I do back off on the amount of salt in my rub, but not by much because I like a salty exterior.

Try one and see what you think!

Thank you. I'll give it a shot.

I think most of us love a good smoke ring, but let's be honest, it has zero effect on how the meat tastes. Competition judges are instructed to NOT take the smoke-ring into account when evaluating entries.

When you are sponsored by a charcoal company, it is very important that the judging doesn't encourage the use of stick burners and pellet grills.

When you are sponsored by a charcoal company, it is very important that the judging doesn't encourage the use of stick burners and pellet grills.

This came off a WSM using RO and Hickory chunks, so :noidea:

IMG_0179_zpsq5oyffit.jpg

I thought the most important thing is how something tastes and tenderness, do Ribeye have friggen smoke ring?

NOPE but they are awesome.

With sticks or pellets you can easily get a ring double or triple that size with no special skill and no improvement in flavor or texture. Or you can easily "fake" it with tenderquick or cure.

Personally, I side with the French, Japanese and many other cultures and feel appearance is a big part of food, and I wouldn't care how competitors get their ring as long as it looks, smells, and tastes great. The competitions have chosen the opposite and simply ignore the appearance for reasons that I think are misguided and $$$$$ driven, but that is their prerogative. I just don't think competitions are an authoritative/credible source for good BBQ because the judging system pushes the styles and standards to be their own thing.

I know it's crazy how they speak...... Lmao

If you guys think my wife and I sound funny, you would be shocked at how some of my friends from West Texas and Arkansas sound. That's not a knock against them at all (to me they sound like home), but there is a difference. Maybe not as much as Australia or WI though. lol.

Justin

Just when I thought you had your game on top, you upped your game. These videos are Great!

It's the one line comments you make about heat flow, foiled cookie sheet etc. that help alot of rookies like me.

If you guys ever get over Shreveport way know that you have an open invite here.

Thanks for taking the time to make all of your videos.

great looking briskets! look like fun day of smoking.....

did you get the briskets here in DFW.

t

Back