Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Vs KJ Big Joe II

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Life has gotten busy which has led me to put my stick burner up for sale. I was going to replace it with a KJ Big Joe II but I am concerned with getting it to where it needs to live. It will need to go up one and a half flights of stairs. Weighing in at 371 pounds has me concerned. I'm not sure what the weight is when stripped down to just the lid and base or if the lid can easily be removed to be transported separately or not.

That concern has led me to start looking at the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. for people that have one, are you happy with it? Is $1500 overpriced for that grill?

For people with a KJ Big Joe: how difficult would it be to get it up 1.5 flights of stairs?

Can the lid be detached and reattached to base with ease?

While writing this post a Weber dealer just got back with me stating "Weber is coming out with a new version of that grill in December"

Thanks,

The Weber Summit isn’t overpriced as far as I’m concerned.

That being said if you think it is, hold off a bit because they are coming out with a cheaper model that doesn’t have the gas assist.

I looked long and hard at ceramics before I bought mine and decided on the Summit for longevity’s sake.

I couldn’t be happier.

Thanks,

Do you know what other changes are being made?

The Weber Summit isn’t overpriced as far as I’m concerned.

That being said if you think it is, hold off a bit because they are coming out with a cheaper model that doesn’t have the gas assist.

I looked long and hard at ceramics before I bought mine and decided on the Summit for longevity’s sake.

I couldn’t be happier.

I would go with the Weber over a ceramic kamado. My biggest issue with my kamado was that it was too insulated. Doesn’t sound like that makes sense, but in my opinion the fire ends up being too small because it takes so little heat. I didn’t like the flavor from a kamado as much as an inefficient charcoal smoker because the fire is bigger and the wood doesn’t smolder as much. The Weber uses air as an insulator, not ceramic or the fiberglass stuff they use in insulated vertical cabinets. So it’s more efficient than a Weber Smokey Mountain, but less so than most kamados.

As far as changes to the new model, I don’t think anyone knows for sure other than no gas assist on the $1000 model. The pictures seem to show thinner metal on the stand and no hanger for the diverter plate.

I had a ceramic kamado for 8 years and loved it. However I’d get the wsc over a kamado Joe right now. That said, I’d wait until the new version comes out and see what it’s all about and then make the final decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks,

Where were you able to see pictures?

I would go with the Weber over a ceramic kamado. My biggest issue with my kamado was that it was too insulated. Doesn’t sound like that makes sense, but in my opinion the fire ends up being too small because it takes so little heat. I didn’t like the flavor from a kamado as much as an inefficient charcoal smoker because the fire is bigger and the wood doesn’t smolder as much. The Weber uses air as an insulator, not ceramic or the fiberglass stuff they use in insulated vertical cabinets. So it’s more efficient than a Weber Smokey Mountain, but less so than most kamados.

As far as changes to the new model, I don’t think anyone knows for sure other than no gas assist on the $1000 model. The pictures seem to show thinner metal on the stand and no hanger for the diverter plate.

Thanks,

Do you know what other changes are being made?

No sir, I don’t think anyone knows for sure, but as I said earlier, I don’t think the current model is overpriced for what it is.

Here's a picture of the new Weber. No gas starter, different base...
$999

077924159138_17876071.jpg

I only had the classic size and taking the guts out made a big difference but it was still heavy. I don’t know if it’s easier or harder to remove the lid on the new design but on my old one I didn’t want to do it.

I bought one of these which worked really well.

https://www.amazon.com/PotLifter-Ga...t=&hvlocphy=9003200&hvtargid=pla-492753618464

With it I could easily move it with a second person.

Edit: just noticed it says a 200lb limit. That’s going to be an issue

I really like the KJ Big Joe II but because of where I live I am leaning strongly towards the Weber. Looking at BGEs as well. According to a dealer the KJ Big Joe II weighs 305 pounds with just the lid and base.

I only had the classic size and taking the guts out made a big difference but it was still heavy. I don’t know if it’s easier or harder to remove the lid on the new design but on my old one I didn’t want to do it.

I bought one of these which worked really well.

https://www.amazon.com/PotLifter-Ga...t=&hvlocphy=9003200&hvtargid=pla-492753618464

With it I could easily move it with a second person.

Edit: just noticed it says a 200lb limit. That’s going to be an issue

Back