THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
2, 10 pound Wagyu briskets, 2 racks of spares, 3 grills, lots of friends = a great Saturday!

I've been wanting to do this comparison forever. I think the results are probably not all that surprising but it was a fun cook regardless.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"]Brisket Throwdown! Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs Kamado Joe Big Joe |How to BBQ Smoked Wagyu packer - YouTube[/ame]

I realized after I filmed all this that I'm a lot more serious in this one than usual. I think it's just a byproduct of being "in the zone" trying to knock all this out before folks arrived.*I'll make some*fart jokes in the next one or something to even things out. ;-)

My Facebook people get hungry. Your videos would make them more hungry. Lol..... Yes Wygu Briskies are very hard to beat. Soon my videos will be out. Lol...

Smoke ring is never as pronounced on my egg or most kamado type cookers I've seen. Just the way they burn and using less wood. I gave up worry about impressing anyone with smoke ring a long time ago and tell new folks not to be focused on it because new bbq folks get that mentality that there has to be smoke ring and they get bummed out when their isn't and think they did something wrong. They end up "chasing the dragon" trying to get that fix when there are other things that would be better to focus on. My backwoods are similar with less smoke ring than a stick burner, but more than my egg. All still tastes smoked and delicious.

Food looked good :-D

I think that is one of your best videos, smoke rings are overrated (way overrated imo), you can have a fantastic smoke ring and have a over cooked/under cooked, over smoked/under smoked piece of meat. Most people that aren't BBQ fanatics don't even know what a smoke ring is, the important part is a tasty, tender, moist piece of meat.

On my Big Green Egg the smoke rings were very good. And you ask why that is? One I cooked at lower temps. That does help. But what really gives you a deep smoke ring...... Alder.. Use some alder wood. And many wood pellets have Alder in them to produce the smoke ring. Treager wood pellets no matter what flavor you buy I believe is 30 % Alder. Try it for the smoke ring affected. Lol....

Thanks for the vid! I used to have smoke ring issues when I used my bubba keg, but then I just learned from these aweseme guys here that if I season the brisket overnight, I get a better smoke ring. Use a salty rub and enhance it further. Taste the same though lol

Do you know what ranch your Wagyu brisket came from? Here in SA one of the local meat markets has some Wagyu briskets with nothing on the label. I asked and they said they got theirs from A BAR N Ranch up near Dallas. Been thinking of getting one.. but you know.. $ :shocked:

Thanks for the vid! I used to have smoke ring issues when I used my bubba keg, but then I just learned from these aweseme guys here that if I season the brisket overnight, I get a better smoke ring. Use a salty rub and enhance it further. Taste the same though lol

Do you know what ranch your Wagyu brisket came from? Here in SA one of the local meat markets has some Wagyu briskets with nothing on the label. I asked and they said they got theirs from A BAR N Ranch up near Dallas. Been thinking of getting one.. but you know.. $ :shocked:

Ummm interesting..... I use a low sodium 3-4 days before I cook it.

I think bigger smoke rings in ceramics come from the rub used and the temps cooked at. I use salt, pepper and garlic and put the meat on as it's coming up to temp...let it take its time climbing up to 300 degrees and then let it cruise from there. Hotter temps the cooker is burning more wood and lump vs smoldering at 225 = much bigger smoke ring. Mine are usually 1/4-3/8"

Nice video as always. You make some of the best vids out there imo. Good shots, transitions, and explanations. I know it's a ton of work to "produce" one. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think bigger smoke rings in ceramics come from the rub used and the temps cooked at. I use salt, pepper and garlic and put the meat on as it's coming up to temp...let it take its time climbing up to 300 degrees and then let it cruise from there. Hotter temps the cooker is burning more wood and lump vs smoldering at 225 = much bigger smoke ring. Mine are usually 1/4-3/8"

Nice video as always. You make some of the best vids out there imo. Good shots, transitions, and explanations. I know it's a ton of work to "produce" one. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Want red meat in a Komado Style.... Use Alder.......

SMOKE RING DOES NOT EQUAL FLAVOR!!!!!!

That being said, people eat with their eyes and expect a smoke ring, so if you want to enhance that part, rub your brisket down with Morton's Tender Quick (Contains Sodium Nitrate), let it sit for ten minutes, rinse, rub as you normally would, and smoke.

Best smoke ring you will ever see! :clap2:

Back