THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great video and message! Briskets looked awesome as well. Way better than the one I just did.

On the smoke ring, its ironic that the pellet grill has the lightest smoke flavor but always generates a massive smoke ring regardless of rub I use. Definitely zero corelation between the visual and the flavor you get.

Great video. The results are as expected, I would have been surprised if there was any real difference beyond the variation in the raw brisket.

I like a smoke ring because visuals are part of the complete package even if there is little or no correlation with flavor. The general lack of smoke ring has been my biggest disappointment with a Kamado vs a stick burner. It is simply the nature of a smoldering fire producing less NOx than the hot flame of burning wood.

As mentioned, there are ways to compensate and get a ring such as adding cure in the rub. I have not tried using alder yet, but it is worth a shot. Sure the people are important, but people AND smoke ring is always better.

Sprint vs marathon.. same end result. Never tried alderwood before. I've heard it's good for fish. Noawadays I use my WSM or Assasin 36 for long cooks.

Don't need a lot to turn meat red. It has a nutral type of flavor. Light and sweet almost. The pellet makers realized perception in reality. So they (Atleast Treager) mixes every flavor with 30% alder.

Great video as usual.

Smoke rings can develop using any combination of the suggestions above. HOWEVER, what I've found in regard to the smoke ring being hit or miss while using the SAME technique(with lump charcoal) is that it has just about everything to do with how the flavor wood chunks burn and how much NATURAL moisture there is in the chunks.

What I mean by that is sometimes the chunks catch and burn quicker and you have a shorter smoke period. But, IMO, the biggest difference with these types of cookers using lump plus a flavor wood is the natural moisture contained in the chunks. When I use fruita wood(naturally dried) vs kiln dried wood I get a little better ring dang near every time.

Does it matter? Ehhh....if it tastes the same not really. Although I do like the look of the mahogany colored meat and usually naturally dried wood smells better while it burns and that adds to the experience.

Do you know what ranch your Wagyu brisket came from? Here in SA one of the local meat markets has some Wagyu briskets with nothing on the label. I asked and they said they got theirs from A BAR N Ranch up near Dallas. Been thinking of getting one.. but you know.. $ :shocked:

Which meat market?

On my Big Green Egg the smoke rings were very good. And you ask why that is? One I cooked at lower temps. That does help. But what really gives you a deep smoke ring...... Alder.. Use some alder wood. And many wood pellets have Alder in them to produce the smoke ring. Treager wood pellets no matter what flavor you buy I believe is 30 % Alder. Try it for the smoke ring affected. Lol....

Thanks a lot! I had not heard that tip about the Alder but I did notice that i used to always get a good smoke ring my pellet grills. That probably explains why. Much thanks!

Thanks for the vid! I used to have smoke ring issues when I used my bubba keg, but then I just learned from these aweseme guys here that if I season the brisket overnight, I get a better smoke ring. Use a salty rub and enhance it further. Taste the same though lol

Do you know what ranch your Wagyu brisket came from? Here in SA one of the local meat markets has some Wagyu briskets with nothing on the label. I asked and they said they got theirs from A BAR N Ranch up near Dallas. Been thinking of getting one.. but you know.. $ :shocked:

Yeah, I seasoned these overnight so I thought I would be fine. Thanks for the tip though. I am not sure which ranch it came from but the brand is Heartbrand Beef, I think. Does that tell you anything?

BBM, as stated before. Pellet Grills produce great smoke rings and light smoke flavor. And as I stated it's a perception thing the pellet manufacturers want to overcome in the flavor part. Like another person stated. People eat with their eyes. Big smoke ring is thenperception of stronger smoke flavor to many. Even though there is no correlation. Not sure all pellet manufacturers do this. But I do know treager does for that very reason. Try some Alder chunks and see what you think.

Yeah, I seasoned these overnight so I thought I would be fine. Thanks for the tip though. I am not sure which ranch it came from but the brand is Heartbrand Beef, I think. Does that tell you anything?

Yes, it was of the akaushi breed. Great tasting beef, Bolners here in SA also carries those but the marbling isn't consistent like you would think it would be. One of the best briskets I ever cooked was one of these. This one had terrific marbling and I went straight salt and pepper no injection. It cooked pretty quick and I had to rest it about 9 hours or so. But moist all the way through even the flat was perfect.

I think bigger smoke rings in ceramics come from the rub used and the temps cooked at. I use salt, pepper and garlic and put the meat on as it's coming up to temp...let it take its time climbing up to 300 degrees and then let it cruise from there. Hotter temps the cooker is burning more wood and lump vs smoldering at 225 = much bigger smoke ring. Mine are usually 1/4-3/8"

Nice video as always. You make some of the best vids out there imo. Good shots, transitions, and explanations. I know it's a ton of work to "produce" one. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, I really appreciate the kind words...and the tips about the cooking set up.

SMOKE RING DOES NOT EQUAL FLAVOR!!!!!!

That being said, people eat with their eyes and expect a smoke ring, so if you want to enhance that part, rub your brisket down with Morton's Tender Quick (Contains Sodium Nitrate), let it sit for ten minutes, rinse, rub as you normally would, and smoke.

Best smoke ring you will ever see! :clap2:

Good to know! Does it change the flavor any? Should I adjust the salt situation in the rub or anything to compensate?

Really nice video once again. All of the food looked great. Your back yard is pretty dope too. Mamma baby back sure is a trooper. When she was cutting that brisket at the end i couldn't believe it.

Thanks. I married WAY out of my league. She's also a natural introvert (not shy, just introverted) so doing stuff like that for me is a big favor. She's very supportive.

Great video and message! Briskets looked awesome as well. Way better than the one I just did.

On the smoke ring, its ironic that the pellet grill has the lightest smoke flavor but always generates a massive smoke ring regardless of rub I use. Definitely zero corelation between the visual and the flavor you get.

Very true. I like the way food looks coming off the pellet grill. More than just the smoke ring. It just cooks very consistently. Just with it had a little more smoke flavor at times.

Great video. The results are as expected, I would have been surprised if there was any real difference beyond the variation in the raw brisket.

I like a smoke ring because visuals are part of the complete package even if there is little or no correlation with flavor. The general lack of smoke ring has been my biggest disappointment with a Kamado vs a stick burner. It is simply the nature of a smoldering fire producing less NOx than the hot flame of burning wood.

As mentioned, there are ways to compensate and get a ring such as adding cure in the rub. I have not tried using alder yet, but it is worth a shot. Sure the people are important, but people AND smoke ring is always better.

Without a doubt. lol. But when you didn't get a smoke ring, you focus on the people and try to make yourself feel better about it. lol.

Great video as usual.

Smoke rings can develop using any combination of the suggestions above. HOWEVER, what I've found in regard to the smoke ring being hit or miss while using the SAME technique(with lump charcoal) is that it has just about everything to do with how the flavor wood chunks burn and how much NATURAL moisture there is in the chunks.

What I mean by that is sometimes the chunks catch and burn quicker and you have a shorter smoke period. But, IMO, the biggest difference with these types of cookers using lump plus a flavor wood is the natural moisture contained in the chunks. When I use fruita wood(naturally dried) vs kiln dried wood I get a little better ring dang near every time.

Does it matter? Ehhh....if it tastes the same not really. Although I do like the look of the mahogany colored meat and usually naturally dried wood smells better while it burns and that adds to the experience.

Thank you! I've never heard that tip before so that's a new one on me. I'll think about that the next time I buy wood.

Back