THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lookin' good. Weather is sposed to get better this weekend. Maybe you can throw som meat on that sucker and show us some pron!

Looks great so far! I'd like to see pics of your charcoal basket when you get it finished. Mine is 12"x12" and 6" high. I'm thinking about going lower and wider.

Instead of the above firebox, I'm getting a 4'x4' sheet and cutting a clean 18" x 18" x 7" basket. The other one above was turning into a nightmare with the two pieces of metal I have to work from. Funny enough I'm taking those back and getting the new one from a fabrication plant around the corner for less. Stainless too!

Everything else is done. The next pictures you see will be of me firing my baby UP!

cant wait to see the pron

Glad to see you taking the plunge I will be building one or 2 as soon as I can find the barrels

OK - here's a question for you knowledgeable ones. I got a 16 gauge expanded steel. I don't know if it's thick enough for the charcoal box. I ordered a sheet of 13 gauge just in case but it won't be here for a week or so. That's too long to wait.

I think i used that to make my charcoal basket for my off-set, it's working great, hasn't even warped yet..
Worst case it'll last ya till the other metal get's there!!

I am not sure what gage mine is but it is the stuff you can buy at home depot. I used it almost every other day for 4 months this summer and no problems. LOL even the baling wire holding it together is still hanging on.

It's Done - slap some lipstick and send her out

She's done. I don't have a name for the little girl yet, but she's ready to start. Due to the lateness of the day my wife persuaded me to wait to burn in until tomorrow. So no food pron, but here is the new baby girl.

All you guys out there that have been watching the birth of this new little drum smoker are all welcome to provide a name for her. I was thinking of "Lil Susie 'Que" but since my wife's name is Susan I'm not sure about naming a converted waste barrel that is going to smoke a lot of meat that close to her name.

So here are some final pics.

IMG_3598.JPG
This is the basket before modified. I trimmed the sides and the overall width/length down about 2 inches. I initially tried using my reciprocating saw but that was painful. Then I borrowed my neighbor's angle grinder and while faster it was hard to track and keep straight. Stopped at Sears Hardware and they hooked me up with a metal blade for my circular saw that totally kicked Arse. 4.99 doesn't get much better than that.

IMG_3599.JPG
All dressed up with no where to go.

IMG_3600.JPG
There's a little of Ginny in her. Can't you see the resemblance.

IMG_3602.JPG
this was the hole that I made by mistake. So I doubled the washers on both sides. it's not permanent but I hope it will last a while. If I can get a mig welder for a weekend I'll put a plate over this.

IMG_3605.JPG
Still clean! Don't worry - I'm making a batch of ABT's for tomorrow. And Saturday and Sunday and of course Monday.

IMG_3606.JPG
Here's the completed basket. it's not pretty but I think it will do. I need to trim off the top of the corner braces.

IMG_3610.JPG
"And lo I see my smokers before me...." What viking movie is that from. Here's the line of the smokers that will all be gone this weekend except for the baby.

Now the question is - do I go to work tomorrow, stay home and cook, or go to work, feign sick, then come home and cook........

Attachments

originally going to be 12x12x6 but then I found a cheaper better supplier so I went 18x18x7. Unfortunately that was to big so I cut it down to around 15 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 5 - 6.

It will sit on the weber coal grate.

originally going to be 12x12x6 but then I found a cheaper better supplier so I went 18x18x7. Unfortunately that was to big so I cut it down to around 15 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 5 - 6.

It will sit on the weber coal grate.
That sounds better. FIRE THAT BAD BOY US!!!! "UGLEY BETTY" would work...don't ask about that name. LOL

looks good cant wait to see the pron
"SWEET BLUE" for name sounds good to me

I say ya stay home and give her a good ride down the smokey highway.

Looks great Bob.

Back