THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Bob:

I hear there's some free drums out back of the Perry nuclear plant. How close are you?
I hear they are glowing greener than The drums Smoookin got. :biggrin:
attachment.php

I bet you could use a 4" x 1/8" steel flat, heat and form around the drum then weld it to the bottom drum and just slide the top one down on in it. Might need to have a small flat ring below the lip to even things out.

Almost my last modifications to this one.
Temp Gauge from Spicewine.
tempguage.jpg

Here I have the side pipe's secured.
pipesecures.jpg

I cut the pipe insert so the new basket would fit properly.
cutdownpipesinuds.jpg

The new firebox loaded. Ran out of chunk. This is briq's and apple/cherry wood combo. I'm pretty excited about using the apple and cherry.
fireboxloaded.jpg

A close up of the side so you can see how it was secured.
gratelevel.jpg

The galvanized ash pan I can't use. Not finished but almost....
galvashpan.jpg
galvashpancloseup.jpg

Ok, something weird. I pulled a brisket and a shoulder off about an hour and left the lid off to speed the leftovers briq's burning off. I just went out and I noticed this steam/smoke combo with a strange odor. Kinda like a soldering smell to it. As soon as I got close enough to see it was coming out of the bottom seam I got a whiff and started hacking. I don't even think it was a full dose in the face. Drinking milk now.

It wasn't there when the lid was on - temp was 225 to 235. Lid off climbed to 275-300 for about 30 minutes and then dropped back down to 225 range. The odor wasn't coming out of the top, just the side of the drum at the bottom on one small section. I'm going to turn it over when it's done and see what we can find.

Might be burning paint off of the outside of the drum. When I burnt the factory paint off of mine it had the real bad toxic smell.
Same here and my neighbours hate me for it.lol I told them it was all a part of the process.:mrgreen:

I think it might have been that. It was coming from only one small section and I can't see any discoloration now. So not sure what's going on with it but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the feedback. Lowered the worry factor.

Hey Bob, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the barrels? We are geographically close and I would like to get a couple to build this summer if you don't mind me using your supplier.

Thanks, and congrats on finishing up the project. Does it work better than the Char-Griller? I like my Char-Griller but it has the hotspot problem every once in awhile, so I wanted to build a vertical smoker to avoid that problem.

Hey Bob, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the barrels? We are geographically close and I would like to get a couple to build this summer if you don't mind me using your supplier.

Thanks, and congrats on finishing up the project. Does it work better than the Char-Griller? I like my Char-Griller but it has the hotspot problem every once in awhile, so I wanted to build a vertical smoker to avoid that problem.

Not a problem. Container Managment - I google them with Columbus, Ohio after the word and it comes right up. 42.00 for a reconditioned pristine barrel. But make them show you then it's the reconditioned. The last one I got wasn't and it pisses me off that I have to take it back.

And it cooks phenomenally better than the chagriller. Less space, but definitely better.

Hey Bob,
Great thread...I am learning a lot of good stuff. I like what I am seeing.
You have done a lot of work for me...just one question? Why no ash pan?

I made one but it was out of galvanized so I didn't use it. I'm putting a lip on the bottom of the charcoal setup with the next one.

Back