THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great looking drum Bob. you are now an offical drum head Welcome to the drum heads:icon_bigsmil Makes ya wonder why you waited so long to join:biggrin::cool: More pron please:eek:

pastrami is going on shortly.....

Thanks. The UDS shows that you really can use just about everything to smoke food with. I'd rather have my spicewine but this has been a lot of fun and the requests from people are growing to help them make one.

Break In Weekend Update:

Did the pastrami on the UDS - huge hit. Pictures to follow. Adjusted temp twice but burned half a basket in 6 1/2 hours. never climbed over 300 but got close once. dropped to 200 and then up to 235 for the next 3 hours. Pulled it off, shut down the valves. 30 minutes I followed up on the fire and it was completely out.

Refilled the basket with 4 handfuls of lump, 2 of wood chunks. Lit half a chimney - 20 minutes late it was up to 220 - brisket went on and is holding strong. Since I didn't install my thermometer yet I put an oven thermometer right under the exhaust and just peek in to check temp.

Everything is going well. More pics to follow.

you have 3 nipples on the bottom of this thing.
is one of them always open?? or do you have it capped off??

Three openings on the bottom. 2 with ball risers and ball valves, 1 with a nipple. Next one I build - (Friday/Saturday) I will use 3/4" - with 4 of them, 2 of them with risers and ball valves, 1 with a valve, and one with a nipple. I will probably make them flush and juse some steel to hold the basket off the bottom so it gives me a little more room for an extra grate.

Bob did the drum come reconditioned with the bare metal inside?

good lookin' UDS there chinesebob, mighty fine craftsmanship!

Keep the drum beat smokin' :-D

Bob did the drum come reconditioned with the bare metal inside?

It did. I liked that quite a bit. Peace of mind kind of thing. 40.00 but that's a little steep compared to wht you guys get them for.

The one that I'm doing this weekend is for another brother here to say thank you. Hopefully it will work well for him.

My adjustment is now to the time it cooks. I'm used to shorter cooks, so I have to plan accordingly. I also put my basket on the grate and I think that blocks the ash more than it should. Got 14 hours of burn off 10lbs of lump and 3 handfuls of wood chunks. My family and friends loved it. I like my brisket falling apart more than it was but not many complaints from the eaters.

CB

Hi Bob, did you do a burn out? If not, how is the outside paint holding up? I have a lead on a unlined drum that had some kind of juice in it, I was wondering if I would still need to remove the external paint and repaint it with Hi-temp paint. someone posted around here somewhere that they didn't think their drum got hot enough to blister the paint that was on it when they got it. Are you still going to post a "cheat sheet" of supplies and steps or wait until you tweek the next one or two. I really appreciate you and this thread (all that contributed) Thanks.
Brian

I cooked in mine almost 3 days straight running at 230 degrees average and other than the huge honking pipes sticking out you'd never know it was a smoker. It looks good. When I pick up the other two drums I'll ask the guy at the company I get them from.

Bob you mentioned breaking bits. Did you have them extended more than an eigth of an inch beyond the teeth of the hole saw? Did the same thing till I got the hang of it. :)

Yeah they were out probably 1/2 inch. It was painful but once I let them cool down between the driling I was ok. I recently found a deal in the discount bin at Sears Hardware on a 1 inch step down bit. I'll be going with 3/4 inch pipes in the future.

Bob you mentioned breaking bits. Did you have them extended more than an eigth of an inch beyond the teeth of the hole saw? Did the same thing till I got the hang of it. :)
When using a hole saw it helps to have a quality powerful drill motor and run it at a slower speed.

You mean my black and decker 12Volt isn't a quality drill? Come On!
More about initial torque. Good motors can start at a slower speed and keep a controlled speed. "Less efficient" (not to pi$$ someone off mod) tend to jerk and start at full speed. This tends to make drill motor hard to hang on to which breaks off pilot drills. Been through a few myself.

Agreed Norco I have tossed a few in the begining. Using a little cutting oil on the hole saw helps too.

Bob a 1/2 inch out is far too long try starting with an 1/8 to a 1/4 on that bit.

Back