THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'd say we're looking to get something like this.

20' would be the max, but more likely a 16-18' x 8' trailer. A/C unit on top, probably build a set of bunks, strap in our current kitchen counter carts, and maybe find a stainless sink that would just drain water out a hose to a drain/bucket/ditch. Would be great to have an awning on the side with an RV type door.

It would be a lot of empty space while towing, but something that would only require the smokers to be moved outside and adjusting a few things around inside the trailer to start the comp rather than our current double ez up, carts, table and multiple totes set up.

But I don't have any idea what that would weigh. An estimate of our current equipment is about 1400-1500 with meat and ice. With the larger trailer, we'd really only trim the carports and ez ups from the current load. And let's say an 18" trailer with air weighs 2700.

In the future, won't you want cabinets/shelves, a large water reservoir, a commercial fridge, big screen tv, and an FEC-300? And don't forget the generators for the juice. Try and get a truck that can handle the weight for everything you may possibly want in the trailer rather than just the stuff you have now.

Paul, baby steps here ... yet want to make sure the right hand knows what where the left foot is planning on going.

Paul, that would kill a person financially at comps. The user would have to spend $25 more to get a larger spot. :icon_pissed

What ever you do don't buy a ford with the V10 in it. I just sold mine because even when im not hauling any thing i only got 7 MPG. We use a 30 ft gooseneck stock trailer for comps. I use to tow it with an F350 but i sold it because it wasn't practical as a daily driver. I bought a Crew cab short bed f150 with the 5.4ltr and it pulls it just fine. I will probobly add some helper air bags to keep the truck from squatting so much but i wouldn't have to. I only paid 12,500 for an 02 with 75,000 miles.

Thanks,

I think I'll call some dealers and find out what the GM 1/2 ton HD and Ram 1500 extended cab 4x4's will max pull with the larger gas engines based on each year to make sure I get the right truck for my needs. Right now I'm estimating a weight of 4,500 lbs (+20% for good measure = 5,400) Sounds like a 1/2 ton will do me fine.

Guy, keep in mind I want to keep the cost of the truck near what I can sell my Dakota for. After doing some research an talking to the truck sales manager at one Dodge dealership he thinks 10K is realistic for my truck. He wanted to make a deal for me to trade it in when I showed him my listing, but I can't take the hit to trade in - I need retail value in order for me to upgrade.

Anyone have a link to get tow ratings per year and make?

I found most of Dodges ratings, but need to find GM and Ford.

thanks

Ratings don't take into account the wind shear agianst your trailer and hills. My dodge will "supposely" pull like 8,000 some lbs. Pulling a 4500lb trailer gives it fits. Little over have the estimated weight?!!.

In no wind driving on a flat level surface, the Dodge will do fine. But that don't happen very often.

Good luck on your search.

I heard an ad over lunch today for brand new F150s from Louisburg for $11K. I know it's a little over your budget but we're talking brand new.

Ray, what do you pull your Hobbi with? Dodge 1500?

No is a Dodge POS. :confused: Oh, your right, its a 1/2 ton. 1/2 tons should be able to pull 4500 lbs. And it does, I just need to take a hit in the wallet to pull it. I don't know if you'll find anything that very good gas mileage pulling a trailer. Got to expect it a little.

If possible you might see if you can tough it out until you can put together more funds or decide to finance some of it. I drove an 02 Duramax for 180,000 miles and had virtually no unexpected expense. The 05 Duramax I just bought gets just short of 19mpg on the HWY not towing and the previous owner got 13-14 pulling a racecar trailer, approx 6500 lbs on the hwy. Right now in town I am getting 15mpg.

If you go 3/4 ton in gas I wouldnt expect much over 10-12 hwy and 8-9 in town. The gasser in a 1/2 ton will get around 16-18 hwy and prolly not much over 10 in town.

I drive aprrox 40k a year and even with the fuel price difference it is saving me money to drive a diesel.

Right now I am working for my friend that owns the Chevy dealership in western Kansas, I can check and see what he might have.

Been real happy pulling my Bates with my little 91, 1/2 ton, 350 Chevy, only has 107,000 miles on it ..made the run to the Royal last Oct. and back....

But if I buy another...Ill get a 4wheel drive, cook in too many muddy fields and way too much rain down my way...

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/730327634.html

Problem is, I'd still need to take Paul's advise and get a blue thermopen with this truck. According to GM this model is rated to pull up to 10,300. I emailed the seller to find out it's rating and make sure it has the right rear end. I believe the smaller gears still tow 8,500.

Would 97,000 miles scare anyone off on a 6.0L gasser?

Here's another option if I take out a small loan http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/734067916.html rated to tow either 10 or 12K depending on the rear

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/730327634.html

Problem is, I'd still need to take Paul's advise and get a blue thermopen with this truck. According to GM this model is rated to pull up to 10,300. I emailed the seller to find out it's rating and make sure it has the right rear end. I believe the smaller gears still tow 8,500.

Would 97,000 miles scare anyone off on a 6.0L gasser?

Here's another option if I take out a small loan http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/734067916.html rated to tow either 10 or 12K depending on the rear

If I didn't know the owner, the mileage could be a concern. That diesel could be as well. I'd want to see maintenance records on either of them. If they don't have them, I'd be looking elsewhere.

Edit: How long do you plan to keep it, and how many miles do you anticipate putting on it during that time?

Around 5,000 miles a year, I have a car that I drive everyday. The truck would only be used when I need the space - either bed space or hauling more then 3 people somewhere. (My Jetta ain't fitting 4 adults, unless the person behind me doesn't have legs)

Keep it until I quit competing or the truck no longer serves my needs. I've had my Dakota for 6 years and wouldn't consider selling it if it were still able to meet my needs. It's the pefect size city boy lumber hauler, furniture mover, mulch getter, river/lake runner ... well, you get the idea.

I'm basically wanting to trade for a vehicle of the same value with more towing capabilities. I realize it will likely be a few years older, more miles and/or have less interior comforts.

But I have a hard time justifing much of a payment for a vehicle that's going to being used on the weekends, and not all weekends at that. But at the same time, my worst fear is buying a lemon and sitting on the side of the road on my way to a competition. Which is what I think will happen if I continue to use the Dakota to haul the trailer. I just don't feel it's the best truck with the trailer I have and since we are planning on a larger trailer in the near future, just take the step forward now.

All I can go on is my personal experience, but If I were looking for the truck you are wanting I would definitley look at the 1500HD.

I have driven more than one chevy over the 150k mark with little expense. 200K, 180K,240K and 160K. 97K on that truck if it has been maintained and not been pulling mountains should do you well. Be sure to ask about the front wheel bearings, they usually go around the 90 to 100K mark and are expensive to have replaced. That would not stop me from the truck but I would just want to know so I could pay attention.

one more thing, that truck more than likely has a 3:73 rearend.

I pulled the trigger.

2003 Ram 2500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
just under 60K on the 5.7 Hemi (10,000 miles left on powertrain waranty)
Came with the shell and stainless nerf bars

Attachments

• Ram 0051sm.JPG
    Ram 0051sm.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Ram 0053sm.JPG
    Ram 0053sm.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 43
  • Ram 0055sm.JPG
    Ram 0055sm.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 43
Back