THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

He has it... My truck has only been here 3 weeks.... and I had to drive the white one for one of those to tow to Marysville :)

I'm sure he would sell it to you for what he has in it... if that interested you ...

Depends on price. I forgot what year it was. I think I remember it being a diesel so it's probably out of my price range.

What do you think of this one? A bit of a plain interior, but it would work great for my needs.

Do all Dodge 2500's come prewired for a brake control? The truck posted here does not have the control.

They have a cable that comes with them for a brake controller... it plugs into theI might even have a spare plug if you end up with a dodge, and it doesnt have one or the owner kept it attached to the controller.

The tow package jsut comes with the pre-wire for it under the dash.

I would not get one with the 33" knobby tires.... rough, loud, and it appears to just be an ST (work truck) based on the grill.... or it has been hit, and that is an aftermarket replacement that has not been painted or chromed.

Let me get to work :eek:) I will find you a few to look at.

You dont want mine.... forgot your price range. Mine is an 06 Cummins, with Sport Pkg, Leather, Auto, etc... and 32K miles....

Keep in mind I have a truck to sell. But I have made up my mind that it is for sale and I will be in the market for a 3/4 ton after it is sold.

Sad day too, the Dakota was my first new vehicle and I've treated it as new everyday since.

Already got the tranny cooler (don't you remember that thread?). Funny, my dad just mentioned stiffening the suspension to me too. But that really only solves the truck with the current trailer. Don and I plan on selling this trailer after the Royal and getting a larger 16-18 foot cargo/toyhauler - something we can install some work stations, bunks and has elect and A/C.

Then I need a larger truck with brake controls, so I just want to get something that will tow whatever it is that we buy. The F250 that I looked at tonight had the flip up gooseneck hitch and was a V10 - I was liking that.

Interesting, very very interesting.

i'm with scottyd my 2008 f350 gets about 12 mpg but they said help is on the way they can reprogram the computor to help with the mpg's. Before the ford we had a dodge that pulled a 50ft car hauler with 3 cars on it and it got 13mpg's without being chiped.
I would stay away from the snow plow trucks don't know the have done to the trucks.
I like 4-wheel drives, better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Gas $3.70 per gal. or diesel $4.70 per gal.
that my thoughts "man i need a beer"

V10 = Maintenance, and lets look at your reasoning here....
You are saying you can get an older truck because you dont use it that much, only for the few contests, and some light duty HD/Lowes trips....

But if you upgrade the trailer, will you use it more... and then want a more reliable/less used truck?

You can tow alot of trailer with your truck... you can add a brake controller, and air bags... for less than selling yours in a low market, and then buying a well used unit to meet your anticipated size needs... You know the condition of yours, add the airbags, and a brake controller, and go to town - spend the extra money you save on the truck and put it back into your trailer upgrade so you get something sweet! BTW, a goose neck utilizes your NCC and your Tow rating... so you can tow a goose neck that weighs more, since less is on the axles and distributed to your bed payload....

A 16ft gooseneck in your existing truck would rock out.

They make 16" goosenecks/5th wheel toyhaulers/cargo type of trailers?

Can a gooseneck ball be installed in a Dakota?

Between the air pads, elect brake wiring and controller and hitch in the bed, I'd be looking towards near a grand.

I've seen gooseneck ball installs in S-10s!! There are lots of trailer mfgrs. that will do anything you want. I have seen lots of short goosenecks... usually single race car rigs, or for hauling bobcats, etc.

$1000 into your truck which has been extensively maintained is better than getting $2K less than what you want for yours, and paying for a much more used truck that will burn more fuel and need more maintenance.

Even now $10K doesnt get you much in a heavy duty truck... Lots of variability. Lots of money pits out there...

ouch ... and last I checked, not much for cities in SD so I'm assuming you're not giving me rush hour / stop and go mileage

Lots of good advice. The only thing I'll disagree with Andy about when it comes to putting some money into your Dakota is brakes. Having lost brakes on a trailer before, I can tell you from experience that you want to make sure that your tow vehicle can handle whatever you have back there. If you start putting money into the existing truck, I'd seriously consider budgeting some of it for larger rotors etc....

V-10/Hemi engines: Take a good look at what you are getting into, other than a lower purchase price. They are fuel hogs, or so I've been told be people I consider reliable. Purchase price for a diesel will be higher, fuel cost is higher, low end torque is higher (good thing), engine life with proper maintenance is higher (good thing), fuel economy is higher (good thing). I'm a Dodge fan, and love the Cummins. I've had fewer problems with mine than friends have had with their Powerstrokes. Fuel prices have mine parked right now, but that just means that I'll have it longer, and have it when I need it longer.

If I were in your shoes, I'd sit down and figure out exactly what I planned to be pulling and be honest with myself. I'm talking about dimensions and weight (when finished out and loaded). Add about 10% to the weight when you are done. THEN I'd start looking at my needs for a tow vehicle.

The last bit of advice is from a guy that bought a 1 ton gasoline driven truck, before he bought the gooseneck horse trailer years ago when he was much younger and more impulsive. I pulled that trailer once, and traded for a diesel.

What ever you do don't buy a ford with the V10 in it. I just sold mine because even when im not hauling any thing i only got 7 MPG. We use a 30 ft gooseneck stock trailer for comps. I use to tow it with an F350 but i sold it because it wasn't practical as a daily driver. I bought a Crew cab short bed f150 with the 5.4ltr and it pulls it just fine. I will probobly add some helper air bags to keep the truck from squatting so much but i wouldn't have to. I only paid 12,500 for an 02 with 75,000 miles.

I'd say we're looking to get something like this.

20' would be the max, but more likely a 16-18' x 8' trailer. A/C unit on top, probably build a set of bunks, strap in our current kitchen counter carts, and maybe find a stainless sink that would just drain water out a hose to a drain/bucket/ditch. Would be great to have an awning on the side with an RV type door.

It would be a lot of empty space while towing, but something that would only require the smokers to be moved outside and adjusting a few things around inside the trailer to start the comp rather than our current double ez up, carts, table and multiple totes set up.

But I don't have any idea what that would weigh. An estimate of our current equipment is about 1400-1500 with meat and ice. With the larger trailer, we'd really only trim the carports and ez ups from the current load. And let's say an 18" trailer with air weighs 2700.

Last edited:
Back