THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BossHogg

Got Wood.
Hello, Brethren!

I hope you all are doing well this fine day. I have a question about the Stoker Black Box that I hope you guys can give me some direction on. I attempted to do some research, but simply didn't find the answers that I need.

I've got a Stoker Black Box that I use with my WSM 22.5. I'm going to be using it for the first time at a comp next month. I'm curious about how to get it to work properly with the resources I have.

I have a MiFi unit that provides internet access for up to 5 devices. I also have an iPad that has data connectivity on its own.

What I would like to do is use the MiFi device to provide internet access to the cooksite and also serve as a router for the Stoker, ipad and laptop so I can use Stokerlog.

Has anyone done this with a MiFi unit, or am I better off just grabbing a cheap linksys router to plug in and use as my network while I'm there.

With the BlackBox unit, do I even need the router to connect to, or isn't it capable of hosting a web server on its own so that I don't need the router to connect the laptop or iPad to it?

Anyone have experience they could share with this noob?

I'm not sure about the mifi device, but it sounds like it acts just like the router would, which is essentially giving the stoker an IP address so that it can connect to other devices on your network and the internet.

Basically, you don't need internet access to be able to get to the stoker from the laptop or the ipad. But you do need something that gives all of the devices IP addresses so they can talk to each other. If the mifi does this, than you're good to go.

Back