THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So far here are some things I've done:

Garlic in potato and macaroni salads, also sprinkled on grilled veggies.

Cajun - on all sorts of chicken, fish, burgers, and combined in rubs.

Charbroil - on "Colt's Original Buffalo Wings", fish, eggs, and combined in rubs.

got my first bottles of SF for xmas (Thanks!). Besides all the "regular" things already mentioned I use the cajun on tater-tots, the garlic and charbroil on grilled cabbage, and the cajun and garlic in baked beans.

Got my bottle of Cajun in the mail from a cousin in Georgia yesterday. Bandera is coming up to temp now, and I'll be adding a rubbed pork loin shortly.

Sure did. Planning on trying that this weekend after taking a better look at the posts to see what to experiment with next.

Rut-roh. If you are serious PM me the address you sent it to. I suspect somebody might be getting an unexpected package :D

Got my bottle of Cajun in the mail from a cousin in Georgia yesterday. Bandera is coming up to temp now, and I'll be adding a rubbed pork loin shortly.

Good stuff Maynard! I tried it on the pork loin, some stuffed chops, in a couple of turds, and even on a plate of nachos I had going. It will be a must have in the spice cabinet.

I've had it on some other things, most of which I see in the posts above, but last night I put the red-label stuff on a couple catfish filets. Pan-fried them in some butter - no breading, no other seasonings, and all I could think of after eating two filets (over a pound total) was.... I want some more! Good stuff, and thanks again to Bill for getting me started on it! I'll have to try the other flavors soon......

We had it (Cajun) on Shrimp and Chicken Paella last night (thats a rice dish Brian). Goes very good with the tumeric in the sauce.

Thanks guys from some great new ideas.

Still haven't seen MikeG's post here yet. He's been eating the stuff for years and years.

Just got off the phone with So. Flavor guy. I put an order in a couple weeks ago but they lost it. Anyway, I mentioned I heard about the stuff through Bill and the Brethren and he said "yeah we're the Brethren's official seasoning" Thought that was pretty cool! I'm anxious to try the stuff as much as you guys are talking it up. I know, go easy like a salt, I'll do my best.

Zaterains and Green Chilli salt used to be my seasonings of choice, but after being introduced to the So. Fla. by Bill, it is now #1. I like the red the best on really greasy meat like pork ribs and butt. I think I will try it out on my pepper bacon in the morning. I had better get an order in soon or I will run out.

OK. Like, having lived in this wonderful state-o-mine (Home of future President of the US of Freakin A, ZELL MILLER, Georgia - sorry, momentary lapse of reason :roll: ) for all but 2.5 years, I have to say, I have no idea what Southern Flavor is! Every grill/smoker I've had up to the time I bought my BD has been a charbroil (none of that sunbeam crap, but I digress). I worked, albeit briefly at charbroil and the WC Bradley Company (charbroil's parent). In my 44 years, I've never seen nor heard of Southern Flavor in ANY form.

Could someone enlighten me?

please?

Pretty please?

Solidkick said:
I have no idea what Southern Flavor is!

Here you go Smokey! Seasoning salt of the Brethren. Remember it is not a rub...........

http://www.southernflavor.com

Too clarify MR. Kick, it is a Seasoned Salt that you need to practice with when using as a rub (works great) but might comeout too salty if applied like a dedicated rub.

Sorry

Group hug!! :D

I've been "busy" this weekend -- had family to feed Saturday. Didn't use the Southern Flavor this weekend though I will admit the Cajun flavor was in my hand at noon today while prepping some chicken breasts :mrgreen:

It is good stuff and the different blends are all unique. You can taste the base seasonings (black pepper :D) in all of the mixtures but they each add a different character to the "target" food.

You see what happens when you and Greg run off to learn how to BBQ ice cream?
Time for the bbq'd ice cream story. One of the yahoos sitting at the table with us said, " I have a recipe for bbq'd ice cream". We listen as he recites a recipe for baked alaskan, but you do it on a 500 plus degree preheated grill rather than in the oven. It stays in there for about 5 minutes. I of course whispered to Bill," that's grilled ice cream". Meanwhile there was a girl sitting at the table with us that said, "I was picturing ice cream with bbq sauce on it". Hence the post elsewhere from Bill explaining that everybody's idea of bbq is different. One guy thinks that doing it on the grill makes it bbq, another thinks that as long as it has some sweet tomato based sauce it is bbq.

One more comment about our table, (even though it is in a different thread).One of the guys that was there had no interest at all in cooking good q. He just wanted to be able to get free bbq when ever there was a contest around.

I use the Red Label on stuff I normally salt. It goes real good on chicken quarters too!

Got my first box from Southern Flavor today :D ---Original, Garlic, and Cajun. Should have taken up Chicago Bill on his generosities, but I bet this is worth the $24.77.

I opened up the stuff at work and let a few others sample the seasoning. I didn't realize it had so much pepper as a base, guess you pretty much ONLY use this seasoning when preparing meats, right? Looking forward to trying this stuff out!!

Take care.

parrothead said:
guess you pretty much ONLY use this seasoning when preparing meats, right?
Too quote Bill, "everything but cereal"

Actually, what I meant to say was "When you use Southern Flavor, no need for other seasonings(powder or pepper), right?"

Back