THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SkipB

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Skip
If I have a recipe doesn't call for instacure #1, but only calls for kosher salt and I want to add instacure #1 what would be the ratio to use in order to keep it for being too salty? Even though the recipe doesn't call for it, I want to smoke and bloom the sausages.

You need to work the salt percentage backwards because the percentage of cure is constant at 0.25%. For instance, if you like 1.75% total salt in your sausage. This would mean you need 1.5% salt and 0.25% Cure #1.
What he said :)

I use Instacure #1 at 0.25% meat weight and then Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt at 1.2%-1.7% meat weight. Use the lower end of the salt percentage if you prefer a less salty flavor.

What he said :)

I use Instacure #1 at 0.25% meat weight and then Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt at 1.2%-1.7% meat weight. Use the lower end of the salt percentage if you prefer a less salty flavor.
Thanks, I like those ratios and it does give me something to work with.

Back