THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One of the reasons that I never looked into KCBS judging is because I didn't want to go to the effort and expense just to get accepted to judge 2 or 3 events a year. I still go to some of the SCBA events and enjoy walking around and visiting with my cooking friends.

You're right Doc, I'm too old to let politics bother me. That's why I enjoy my Brethren friends so much.

One of the reasons that I never looked into KCBS judging is because I didn't want to go to the effort and expense just to get accepted to judge 2 or 3 events a year. I still go to some of the SCBA events and enjoy walking around and visiting with my cooking friends.

You're right Doc, I'm too old to let politics bother me. That's why I enjoy my Brethren friends so much.

I stay out of the politics of it all for sure. There was a time in my life where I would be in there with both feet flying, but the older you get, the sillier it all seems. That's not to say I won't speak up when it matters, but in the case of the Memphis style ribs, I think it would fall on deaf ears. Maybe not. I'll ask some reps at the next contest I judge at the end of the month. I certainly don't know everything about judging, and always welcome constructive input.

I understand that. From what they discussed I think it used to be more where regional issues came into play more. The big thing now like others discussed was that even at the big eastern NC contests if you use a vinegar sauce, which is typical eastern NC bbq you will not win. I feel like KCBS style has become it's own "regional" in that it has a certain majority flavor profile that has been expected.

In 8 years I have only judged one pork entry with a vinegar/pepper back flavor, it was balanced very well with the pork. On chicken I've had two entries with mustard sauce, and one with a Alabama white sauce. I was fine with the appearance and flavor of the mustard sauces, but the white sauce was gloppy and had a bland flavor.

I've been hearing/seeing this phrase since I started competing. Please tell me where KCBS says "it's a meat contest". I've seen references to Barbeque contests, but never just meat contest. Now where does it say that Barbeque is just the meat with no rub and/or sauce?

I heard that in respect to comments about garnish... meaning judge the meat, ignore the garnish.

I think, as others have stated, judges need to be 'refreshed', every so often. IMHO, and especially around here.. many judges have become complacent simply because their class was 10 years ago and they get to judge 1,2, maybe 3 contests a year. A mandatory refresher every 2 years would probably help this.

On the other side of the coin there are judges in my area that got their Master Judge cert in 2 years (or less)... for some people this to fast to really develop good judging ability, one in particular didn't recognize Cornish drumsticks (or realize they were a legal entry) and he questioned the TC, another didn't grasp grain direction on brisket when we were discussing tenderness (or lack of) on an entry sliced with the grain. I've judged with several judges that didn't realize kale was legal until the Rep mentioned it at the Judges meeting, this must be an issue in other areas as the Reps bought kale and had two boxes for show and tell. I agree with re-certification of judges, just not sure how a hands-on examination would actually work, maybe in conjunction with getting credit for volunteering? Each season I actually read through my judges handbook, the current rules, 3 or 4 articles I've saved, and visit the Judge-My-Box site to bone-up on appearance. When the online sample MCBJ test came online I run through that as well.

On the other side of the coin there are judges in my area that got their Master Judge cert in 2 years (or less)... for some people this to fast to really develop good judging ability, one in particular didn't recognize Cornish drumsticks (or realize they were a legal entry) and he questioned the TC, another didn't grasp grain direction on brisket when we were discussing tenderness (or lack of) on an entry sliced with the grain. I've judged with several judges that didn't realize kale was legal until the Rep mentioned it at the Judges meeting, this must be an issue in other areas as the Reps bought kale and had two boxes for show and tell. I agree with re-certification of judges, just not sure how a hands-on examination would actually work, maybe in conjunction with getting credit for volunteering? Each season I actually read through my judges handbook, the current rules, 3 or 4 articles I've saved, and visit the Judge-My-Box site to bone-up on appearance. When the online sample MCBJ test came online I run through that as well.

I personally believe you cannot be a good judge if you are not a reasonably good cook yourself. You learn just about every flaw that can occur, because you made them yourself along the learning curve.

I review the latest manual for changes, and as a refresher. I review the continuing education periodically as well. I just wish there were REQUIRED study materials with a test to renew the judge certification.

Back