THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

He was cute when he realized what he had done. He looked like a boy that broke a window throwing a baseball or double ended ... toy or something. I was wanting him to speak up for me... all he did was mumble something about..."oh i didn't know." then he kind of lost his wind and didn't say a word the rest of the time.

Hey... I took the rap for him cuz everyone expects me to to **** up stuff. I.m the new guy.

i don't know... show up, eat, judge on color coded cards and have the table captain review and guide, but if the table captain don't have it down then it's all monkeys riding dogs.
The big issue here would be that they get a crapton of training on pork, quite a bit less on brisket, very little on ribs, and virtually none on chicken unless you then put the burden on the teams and force them to turn in more pieces which I don't think would be highly supported.

If the reps are doing their jobs balancing the tables like they are supposed to then I'm not sure the value of doing this. If they aren't doing their jobs balancing the tables then that is a problem that can be solved by KCBS as long as they are told about it.

Not really sure how you can disagree since I'm writing about what happened in the class I took.

I will clarify what I meant regarding taste. I understand it is very subjective but give me some kind of target. Here in NC (or at least my part) its all about the vinegar based sauce. Based on the class and "if you like it, its good" if I get bbq with a great vinegar sauce, I'm giving it a 9 because I really like it. However I can tell you you won't get very far in kcbs if you turn in bbq with a vinegar sauce.

Allow me to explain.

My post had nothing to do with what happened in your class, it was in direct response to your statement "The biggest problem I had was that there was not a true definition of what KCBS bbq is and what it should taste like. "

Again, to sum up - I don't think it is possible or even a good idea for KCBS to attempt to define what entries should taste like.

Carry on, brother!

Mornin Vinny

more-hot-girls-in-yoga-pants-part15-13.jpg

I judged the BBQ competition at the World Food Championships in Las Vegas last year. The BBQ contest ran under KCBS sanction and rules. The other categories used the EAT method developed by the contest organizers. It was one of the most well thought out descriptions of what a judge should consider when judging a culinary contest. Is it perfect, no, but it comes close in my opinion. This is it below. There is no

"So what does all of that mean, exactly? Well it doesn’t “exactly” mean anything. Remember, human judging is subjective with objectivity mixed in. There is no exact right answer. It’s not math, it’s culinary!

Here’s what it means in approximation. In the judges meeting, the judges will be tasked with the difficult duty of evaluating each dish on its own and by its own merits. They will be told to evaluate the dish on appearance. Is it pleasing to the eye? Does it look appetizing? Do you want to take a big bite out of it right now? They will be told to evaluate the dish on taste. Is it pleasing to the taste buds? Does it make you want to eat more? Are the flavors appealing? Is there an appropriate balance of flavor? Does one element overpower the others? And lastly, they will be told to evaluate the dish on execution. Did the dish come together? In your assessment, if, in the case of evaluating a burger, is there an appropriate ratio of topping, to burger, to condiment, to bun? In your opinion, did the cook successfully accomplish what they set out to accomplish? Does the dish meet the criteria of the specific category?

At all points, a human will enter into human judging with personal biases. It’s important for the judges to attempt to place all personal biases aside and evaluate a dish simply on its own merits.

When all is said and done, the judges are left with the responsibility to assess and evaluate the success of each dish placed in front of them. The judges hold the cards to the hopeful bright and shining culinary future of each participant in this Ultimate Food Fight. This is not a task to be taken lightly, rather, it’s a responsibility they will the instructed to take particular care of and pay specific attention to when judging. The serious nature of this responsibility is only fair to the competitors’ blood, sweat and tears that were shed to plan, prepare and execute each dish."

There is no way to codify how something should taste, it is impossible. But, judges should take the time and care to judge as fairly as possible, judging an entry on its own merits and leaving your personal preferences aside. I think KCBS needs to have discussion about judging for taste and provide some guidance to judges as they do on tenderness. I think the ideas presented above are a great jumping off point for that discussion.

Back