THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

marsh maniac

Found some matches.
Please help a newbie. I just joined the brethern and admin hasn't approved my account to use the search function or the recipe section. so please forgive the stupid question.

Now that i have a UDS with an actual thermometer, what cooking temp should i target when smoking chicken tomorrow? Also what internal temperature is "done".

Before my UDS i would smoke chicken until they where "done" but now that i have the ability to control temp a bit better I thought I'd target a more precise temp.

thanks,
mm

I like to cook chicken at 300-350*. Higher heat will help get the skin done. You "should" cook until the IT is 165*

I'm a 325-350 guy for chix. I cook to an IT of 165 in the thigh and let it rest. If I'm running my UDS without a diffuser, the therm temp can be 50-75 degrees cooler than grate temp.

If you know by instinct when yer chix are done, you may wanna stick with that. I think "just knowing" is ultimately the best way. :thumb:

I like to cook chicken at 300-350*. Higher heat will help get the skin done. You "should" cook until the IT is 165*

I'm a 325-350 guy for chix. I cook to an IT of 165 in the thigh and let it rest. If I'm running my UDS without a diffuser, the therm temp can be 50-75 degrees cooler than grate temp.

If you know by instinct when yer chix are done, you may wanna stick with that. I think "just knowing" is ultimately the best way. :thumb:

AGREED!!

If I can offer another suggestion for your chickens.....BRINE!
Whole chickens only need 5-8 hours in the brine, but it'll make a real difference in flavor, moisture and overall goodyness!

Here's a basic brine recipe:

1 quart cool water
1/2 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
1/2 cup sugar
Mix in a non-reactive container until dissolved. Substitute 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons Morton Kosher Salt or 1/4 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.

Make 1 quart of brine for each pound of meat, not to exceed 8 quarts (2 gallons). Soak meat for 1 hour per pound, but not less than 30 minutes or longer than 8 hours. If brining multiple pieces, base the brining time on the weight of an individual piece.

Back