Food safety question on chicken.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
William
At 5:30AM I put a small chicken in the Crockpot. I got home at 2:30PM and noticed that I set the pot to warm instead of low. The chicken is warm but nowhere close to being done. Sitting in the CrockPot that long do you think it's OK? It's on high now and worst case scenario is my dogs will eat well tonight. Thanks.

Looks like the dogs are in for a treat. I've seen them eat dead critters in the yard with no ill effect so I think a fully cooked, slightly tainted chicken will be fine. Thanks guys.

Not on a bet! No way, no how! Throw that chicken out! got food poisoning from chicken 40 years ago and after that bout of liquid coming out of my top side and bottom side for three days, it was 15 years past before I ate chicken of any type. Chicken is cheap and doctors and pharmaceuticals are expensive. Don't feed it to your dog either. Chicken bones are not good for them.

Same here

Send it to me. I'll eat it. :p

Yeah..I'm kinda the same.

I'd give it the nose test...if no foul smells (no pun intended)....I'd crank up the heat and let it cook.

Just make sure you get at the USDA done temperature and hold it there for awhile.

I find that wives, girlfriends and mothers tend to throw everything out....most guys I know will eat anything that's not blue and fuzzy.

I try be reasonable....

But it's your stomach and you know what you can handle.

I've probably got a fairly healthy immune system...I started by eating dirt as a kid and I've eaten a lot of food that has sat out or been in the fridge awhile since my college years....

So, YMMV.

Let us know what you did!!

C

I would still have eaten it.

Like Cayenne said. I'll eat anything in the fridge as long as it doesn't start moving when I check it out.

My food poisoning adventure in The ER in 2011 was right at 3K for 6 hours. Zofran, Fat Bags of Fluids, two antibiotics, CBC,SMA, etc etc.

Versus

A new chicken do over

Actually ER Doc thinks mine was improperly stored rice

I'm curious and now I have to ask, how do you improperly store rice?

I'm curious as well....in case I'm improperly storing rice. :-o
Me Too! Mrs Lobo, being Filipino, buys Jasmine rice by the 25 lb sack and we buy several per year. It gets stored in a little cubbyhole under the stairs. Probably spends months in rat infested warehouses in 3rd world countries.
WTH is the right way to store it? BTW William, how'd the chicken turn out?

Barely warm chicken is an obvious DED (don't ever do). But cooked rice seems so innocent, and it'd be a shame to throw it out after being in the fridge for 3 days.

Left over rice: Fried rice on the second day- and trash bin on the third day.

I threw some chicken out today.

Can't recollect how old it was, but this is my "Ambulance lunch" Roast Chicken which comes out for 10 hours shifts with me. Some portions made it out for two shifts with me, then back in the fridge for a coupla days. This morning, had an unexpected shift. Had a look as it was all I had.

It was moving. So I threw it out.

I have my limits.

Back